• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling all bobbed experts

Satchimo

Ok, so after attempting to find any info on a bobbed 135/211, I have found nothing more than a couple pictures of one on a flatbed. I have a 52 m211 with a small block swap and 2 speed t-case. I have been throwing around the idea of bobbing it but I have some questions I cannot find answers too and would appreciate any and all info/thoughts.

1. Is this at all even considerable without power steering? I will want to run 16.00 xl's or similar.

2. Can the rear hubs be flipped on banjo axles or will I have to go with a custom backspace wheel?

3. Are there any ideas as to why this has not really been done?

Keep in mind that this truck is nowhere near original, and would cost me way more than it is worth to get it back to a real m211. However, I do not mind spending some cash to have something off the wall different.

Thanks in advance to everyone. :)

-Scott

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It's impossible to bob an M211...it's even in the manual. In fact, if someone has replaced the 302 gasser and the hydro, you have to turn it in as an abortion.

PM me for the address to ship it to...at your expense of course.:roll:

Attachments

Ride2Kill

I say go for it as well. It would be cool to see something different. I don't see any reason it would be any more work than bobbing an M35. The only thing I'm not sure about it the flipping of the rear hubs. With that small block it would be super easy/cheep to mount a power steering pump. A plus if you wanted to do the fab work for mounting a steering box.

spicergear

Do it! Hang a spring set in the rear, drop the rear most driveshaft and see what you can do. You could...always...ditch the stock rears and put a set of later Rockwells under it and plop in a NP205 behind the small block dealie that's already in there. Then you have no worries on hubs, T-case rotation, etc.

135gmc

The rear hubs can be flipped very easily - look at the TM for the details, and you'll see it will only take a few hours. You would probably want power steering if you change the tires, but there's lots of room, and standard GMC truck steering parts would probably be the easiest to work with. You might find it to be very underpowered with the stock engine, though.

rainbow

The rear hubs can be flipped but you have to have a different brake dum adaptor,like the ones on the front axel. Much eaiser to put hubs and drums off 135 axels. Ihave messed wilth m211s and m35s for years. I have used a gmc pretty hard. They are a toughfer truck than the m35. gmcs have stronger frames, twice as much rear springs, much better brakes, larger diameter drive axels, recirculating ball steering box turn eaiser, torsion rods on front axel,much eaiser to get parts for at local auto parts, list goes on and on

Satchimo

Thanks for the support and info everyone! This will be an ongoing project over the winter/spring, and will hopefully be back on the road come summer. I have a very talented circle of friends, so the fab work should not be a problem, just needed to know what you all have answered for me.

I will include some pics of our platform, we like to call him Norman. :)
It is a semi built 400 sb, which may get swapped for a diesel, but that will come much later.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks