• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling all MA deuce owners, what's up with your insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scooter01922

Ok guys, so search hates me....and after some digging i can't really seem to find much discussion about insuring a deuce in Massachusetts. It seems like all the popular insurance companys that most of you guys use won't write policies in MA. And the digging i had a friend of mine in the ins businees do makes me even more worried, looks awfully pricey for my new toy. So waht do you guys in MA do??? i know your out there.
Thanks

mijokr

RE: Calling all MA deuce owners, what

Scooter, I'm a newbie to the forum but have owned a 1971 AM General M35A2 for several years. Here in Michigan, I have my truck plated as a historical vehicle and insured through Hagerty Collector Car Insurance. I had to send them pictures with an explanation of what the vehicle is, but they insured it. I can't remember off the top of my head what the rates are, but they are very reasonable. There may also be restrictions (for example, they won't insure it if it's a daily driver). Here is their web address - http://www.hagerty.com/

Hope this helps.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Calling all MA deuce owners, what

I did a search for "Massachusetts insurance" and found 5 results, only one of them had a response from someone that lives in Mass. His name is Knucklehead, here is a link to the thread. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....opic&t=8910&highlight=massachusetts+insurance Maybe you need to try some of the specialty ins. companies like Gulfway, Hagerty, JC Taylor,etc... I am about to switch to a company in Fl, Gulfway http://www.racensur.com/ Here's a link to a thread with a bunch of insurance companys listed. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index....rder=asc&highlight=insurance+florida&start=20 Good luck

steelandcanvas

Re: RE: Calling all MA deuce owners, what

doghead said:
... I am about to switch to a company in Fl, Gulfway
Doghead, Why are you about to switch, just curious...rates...stipulations? Hagarty says I can't have passengers in the back of my Deuce. No other restrictions, except can't be your only vehicle.

n1bnc

RE: Re: RE: Calling all MA deuce owners, what

I registered and insured an M135 in Mass as I lived in Lowell at the time. I just walked into AAA and quietly steered the agent through what I was looking for and it was about $222 at the time, 3years ago and all was well. The RMV was a little confused, but they had no problem with an antique plate either. I simply showed them a Maine registration and they created, sigh, a title for me. When I moved to NH, I just showed them the title and let the wheels turn and $26 later I had a registration.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Calling all MA deuce owners, what

I currently use both JC Taylor and Hagerty. For some reason Hagerty and my state Dept of Motor Vehicles does not seem to be able to "electronicly" communicate This makes renewals abit more effort for me when renewing my registration. Hagerty is more expensive than JC Taylor is, for the same vehicle coverages, for me. They both have some restrictions such as no towing(or the trailer needs it's own policy) and they must be garaged. I would rather not have the restrictions. I am pretty sure Gulfway does not have the restrictions.

scooter01922

well guys you have given me something to work with. Sadly all of the "collector" companys seem to refuse to do anything in MA :-(. So n1bnc how did you deal with the weight issue??? I'm not sure what the weight is of a 135 but i know that they will give me hell for the weight of the deuce. The response i keep getting is "due to weight it will need to be insured as a commercial vehical" I looked into antique plates, they seem cheap enough, and are doable, but it would still need that pesky commercial insurance. If it really comes down to it i guess she stays off the road a little longer while i get some cash together :cry:

Thanks for the link doghead, unfortunately that whole "locked garage" clause kinda screws me there, but i'll contact them anyway.

rsh253

Have you tried Gulfway Insurers?www.racensur.com

I'm having them work up a quote for me now on my M35A2. The cover many race cars but have discovered a nitch for Collector Trucks including MVs. I have my auto & home insurance with State Farm and the only way they will cover my M35A2 was as a commercial vehicle. Very expense and not very good coverage. SF did cover my MB jeep, however, without a problem. The issue for SF with the M35 is the weight.

-Russ

n1bnc

scooter01922 said:
well guys you have given me something to work with. Sadly all of the "collector" companys seem to refuse to do anything in MA :-(. So n1bnc how did you deal with the weight issue??? I'm not sure what the weight is of a 135 but i know that they will give me heck for the weight of the deuce. The response i keep getting is "due to weight it will need to be insured as a commercial vehical".

This is the premise of antique plates! The registry won't care about the weight as long as it's an antique. Heck the idiot there wanted to give me passenger car plates. I told her it was a bad idea, not her boss. Anyhow. The boys in blue never raised an eyebrow over any driving I did around town. The thing to keep saying is: It's an antique. The RMV doesn't care until you start using it commercially, which you won't. The M135 is a GMC version of the deuce. Commerce Insurance loosely understood what they were getting, the RMV did as well. In NH, the insurance company was fishing for an assessment of the vehicle or appraisal before pricing insurance. PIA.

Good luck and talk little and insurance and plates will encumber you. I managed to register this truck without a title or significant documentation. I had a "bill of sale" and a registration from another state. The RMV was only interested in the registration. The bill of sale was all that was required in Maine, besides an insurance quote that suggested that it was insured...

bede63

I have my deuce (67 M35A2) insured by JC Taylor. I had no problems at all in getting the insurance and registration in Mass, and the cost is very low, about $50/year for an agreed value policy of $4000. I have a number of other vehicles insured by them so that price may reflect that, not sure. The deuce has regular passenger car plates, not antique. Please feel free to PM me if you have further questions.
Regards,
Charles Schneider
Raynham MA

cten

Scooter, shoot me an email and we can discuss. I'm telling you right now it will cost you if you want to hop in the truck any time you want and drive it. 1st off your not going to get around the registry with antique plates, just because she has over 5 wheels. You may if you stick to weekends as I have already been this route. Also, no on will touch the insurance unless you get a commercial/private insurance policy. Also, if your forced to thet the commercial plate you have to pay by the ton and it will be considered commercial/private and do not get caugh hauling for cash. Cost me about $270.00 to register the truck and another $750 to insure the truck. So your talking a ball park of $1,000.00 just to have it never mind fuel it. It's all due to liability and MA is a sue me state.

BEASTMASTER

hey guy, you can get antique -comm. for that truck.but i don't know who from.i was going to switch the beast to antique and got qouted at $220,plus the plates ,$ 15 per thousand lds.there's a guy down the street that has an 86 mack tractor reg.with antique plates
:driver:

fabiodriven

I'm going through the hoops of registering my duece as we speak. As of now, I live in Mass but the truck is going to be "garaged" in Maine. I currently have Geico insurance but they called me today to cancel my policy because I live in Mass and my truck is too heavy for them. They did tell me they would offer me a 27 day grace period to find a new insurance company, so my truck will at least be insured for now (a requirement to register in Maine). So, once the truck is registered (probly in Maine), I will want to get a title and possibly transfer my plates to Mass, but only if I can afford it. I would like to do antique or some kind of collector plates/insurance. My issue is this- I've been talking to many people about this very subject for months now and I keep getting conflicting stories. I have been told that you CANNOT get antique plates for a truck of this size. Final answer- true or false? What other options do I have for cheap plates/insurance? I am not going to be using the truck commercially, but I will be driving it quite a bit. I'm not too worried about antique resrictions because, after all, I'm a goddam combat veteran and they better not mess with me. Thank you. That is all.

militarytrux

All,
I registered mine as an antique and got a title, I let the broker do the leg work with the registry (she has a friend on the inside who passed it through) it is getting tougher though to get them legal.

I have a friend who got stopped and had the fuel tank dipped by a statie on route 1-A in wrentham, big hassle about the antique plate being on a three axle truck and wanted to make sure there was diesel in the tank (taxes)

Anyway I can send along the info for my insurance co if anyone wants to call them.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All,
I registered mine as an antique and got a title, I let the broker do the leg work with the registry (she has a friend on the inside who passed it through) it is getting tougher though to get them legal.

I have a friend who got stopped and had the fuel tank dipped by a statie on route 1-A in wrentham, big hassle about the antique plate being on a three axle truck and wanted to make sure there was diesel in the tank (taxes)

Anyway I can send along the info for my insurance co if anyone wants to call them.
Hi militarytrux,

Would you mind walking us through the procedure and give us costs for antique plates in MA?

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks