• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling Mr. Cranetruck...Courteous Phone for Mr. Cranetruck

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe bjorn's was a cargo version. Sure he will chime in soon.
That is what I thought too, but at closer examination it turns out that the bed was homemade. Here are a few images of the recovery back in '06.

The cab top and bed were removed at the site to lighten it for the flat tow home ( the deuce and 8x8 still weighed in at over 36,000 lb for the 1,000 mile trip to VA). Thanks to the cab top and bed, the truck was kept in remarkably good condition. There are way too many torn soft tops on vintage vehicles that leave the interior in a bad shape.
The only radial type tire on the truck blew out no more than 50 miles from home. I have the remains of the tire here under cover in the yard, since it represents a rare version of a rare tire. It was made by Uniroyal and marked 16R20.

Attachments

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, tell me you didn't do that to that truck (that closed cab commercial conversion?) Looks a bit unstable at best. By the way, I've still not found that info you wanted on our units fuel system. Most of ours looks original but there is some that looks like a 'field modification' with military stock. And its all about the same size.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, tell me you didn't do that to that truck (that closed cab commercial conversion?) Looks a bit unstable at best. By the way, I've still not found that info you wanted on our units fuel system. Most of ours looks original but there is some that looks like a 'field modification' with military stock. And its all about the same size.
Had to check may old mail to remind myself of the question regarding the fuel line markings. Not important, but was wondering about the left and right side fuel line labeling, #14 or 14L and 14R, since the tractor version didn't have two tanks from the beginning based on some photographs from the mid sixties.

My truck had no tanks when found and the fuel lines were ripped off.

Image below of cab area this morning with heater running. The DMV/thermocouple is used to measure defrost air temp (about 225°F)...

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How does the WardLaFrance M746 relate to the Ford MX757 truck apart from both being 8x8? One an upgrade of the other or completely different beasts? Were they used for Pershings as well or just heavy heavy hauling?

Saw a couple of those on my last trip.

Attachments

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually, there are a few more than four. They have the five in bad condition standing there, than the restored one standing separate in the pictures above.

Collector_4_076-resize.jpg Collector_4_080-resize.jpg Collector_4_080-trailer.jpg

And off course the two restored with trailers attached. Not sure what is standing on top of the one trailer, and not sure what trailers those are.

They are located in the Netherlands, so shipping might come a bit expensive. Maybe a soldier returning from a long stay in Europe could take one back as "personal car"

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, your pic 7 top of page, the XM757 has its rear wheels up in a strange way. Do these machines have the option to raise rear wheels to save fuel?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bjorn, your pic 7 top of page, the XM757 has its rear wheels up in a strange way. Do these machines have the option to raise rear wheels to save fuel?
No, we tied the rear axle to make the long haul home easier (see my avatar)...along with removing the drive shafts.

To my knowledge, the LaFrance trucks were not used in the Pershing program, only the Fords (xm757 etc), the MAN and lastly the Oshkosh HEMTT road tractor w/crane.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks