• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Calling on all Michigan Historic Military Vehicle Owners

undysworld

Porkysplace,

Looking over that paperwork, I see at least one issue.

It presumes that no out-of-state on-road title could be issued except by error: "If in error another state titles a Humvee with an on-road title, it can only be titled as an off-road vehicle in this state. When the Michigan Department of state questions another state's Department of Motor Vehicles about the on-road title they issued a Humvee, the state acknowledges their titling error and recalls the erroneous title to be re-issed as an off-road vehicle (ORV) title."

Not ALL Humvee titles were issued in "error". Some Humvees certainly were sold by the US govt. with clear SF-97s and have valid clear titles. In Wis., Humvees are specifically listed as able to register for on-road uses [341.264].

Each state is directed by the US Constitution to recognize records and acts of other states [Art. IV, Sec.1], including things like marriage & drivers licenses, and titles for property like vehicles. If a state cannot demonstrate evidence to the contrary, they should recognize a clear out-of-state title as valid.

Were some Humvees sold with SF-97s marked "off highway use only" - YES. Were some of these eventually titled somewhere - PROBABLY. But remember, until not too long ago, Michigan State Patrol allowed the owner of a John Deere Gator to register it, if it passed an equipment inspection. It wasn't just some boogey-man in some scary foreign state doing this.

When I appealed WisDOT's cancellation of my Pinzgauer, I submitted an open records request for the original paperwork I submitted when I first registered it 5 years earlier. They told me they didn't have copies. Yet during my subsequent appeal, they submitted that very paperwork as part of their evidence. My point is, that these previous records are generally still available, somewhere, if someone is willing to go looking. (Alternatively, the DOD undoubtedly has a record, by vehicle # (VIN), of which vehicles were sold "off-road", but again someone would need to go looking. (A perfect example is the branded SF-97 shown in that paperwork.) These would be acceptable proof that an out-of-state title was issued "in error".

I'm not in favor of off-road Humvee titles being "washed" into on-road ones, because this reflects badly on all of us in the hobby or using them for work. But many totally legitimate on-road Humvee titles exist, so to ban them all is unacceptable. I'd think an attorney could easily demonstrate that this constitutes a "taking" of the value of an legitimate on-road titled Humvee.

This argument should be brought to the attention of your legislators, if not the courts. (IMHO)

Thanks for posting the letter.

dunedigger

It sounds like someone screwed up titling it in the first place or they back tracked the title history and found it was titled with a branded SF-97 in Indiana . Nichigan made clear in 2016 not to register or title HMWWV's.
The confusion for me was if it was issued in error by another state. That's why I called and questioned it. In Indiana it was ok, the seller titled and plated by the process allowed in Indiana. No error was made in that state. And understand my confusion because if the hmmwv came from the 99 sale or was re assigned a vin before they changed the rules for titling side by sides and lumped in hmmwv's with them in the law, they are ok on the road. So not only are out of state hmmwv's allowed to pass through our state, some are ok to have a Michigan plate. Michigan stance is any state that issued an on road title was in error and unrecognized. I was made very clear after the plate was revoked that no hmmwv ever could or ever has been on the road. That's funny coming from the head of the sos office that has issued so many in the past.

Last edited:

undysworld

I was made very clear after the plate was revoked that no hmmwv ever could or ever has been on the road. That's funny coming from the head of the sos office that has issued so many in the past.
As they've been titling & registering them in the past, that's called a "longstanding practice".

Sometimes the law is not sufficiently clear for the regulatory agency to determine what they must do in a new situation - so they create their policy based on whatever evidence they can find. Over time, this policy becomes a longstanding practice. This practice then becomes "the law" basically, and often then the "longstanding practice" can only be changed by changing the law (statutes, code, etc.).

Sometimes a regulatory agency just changes their existing policy (even if it doesn't fully follow state law), and claims it is a longstanding practice. It's often easier for them to do this, instead of going through the procedure to actually change the statute or code. Unless someone successfully challenges them on it, that new policy essentially becomes the law.

I suspect this is what has happened in Mich. (It would explain them being so adamantly opposed to granting citizens an appeal hearing.)

Al Capone

Same thing we fighting here in Louisiana . There is no law or statue and they ignoring us for our hearing because they know they have no evidence or data to back up their decision

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same thing we fighting here in Louisiana . There is no law or statue and they ignoring us for our hearing because they know they have no evidence or data to back up their decision
When someone receives the letter from the DMV , what if you would hire a lawyer to reply back with a registered letter and have him demand the hearing date, they would have to respond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dunedigger

I'd like to keep this thread alive, any updates or new comments from Michigan people would be appreciated. I'd like to ask or clarify that if this becomes an option to obtain a military collector plate, and I have a military vehicle that is normally eligible for a standard plate (before the amendment) would I have a choice to purchase standard plates or MV collector plate?

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to keep this thread alive, any updates or new comments from Michigan people would be appreciated. I'd like to ask or clarify that if this becomes an option to obtain a military collector plate, and I have a military vehicle that is normally eligible for a standard plate (before the amendment) would I have a choice to purchase standard plates or MV collector plate?
Yes

Lazboytt

Lets keep it moving. Please continue to e mail Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgoods office and also call. By showing support we will prevail.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets keep it moving. Please continue to e mail Senator Hoon-Yung Hopgoods office and also call. By showing support we will prevail.

What are you supporting it is my understanding there is a completely different draft coming up from what has been posted. How can you support something you have not read ?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks very restricted. I'm glad I don't live in MI.

Questions-

1) what about all those FMVs newer than 25years old?

2) can an FMV be registered commercial or registered as a daily driver if it meets the criteria?

2a) is an FMVSS sticker part of the criteria?

3) what happens to the existing unrestricted registrations for FMVs?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Questions-

2) can an FMV be registered commercial or registered as a daily driver if it meets the criteria?

Yep they are looking to screw everybody that owns any MV other than a HWMMV. They just need to leave the laws as is if this is the best they can come up with.

dunedigger

Questions-

This is an amendment to an already existing Michigan historical vehicle plate that will now include military vehicles as defined. Your vehicle must be 25 years or older to apply for a "historic" plate no matter what it is. This is an amendment to include not a new bill. I have two collector civilian square body trucks that I have historic plates on. I can pay more money and get a standard plate, but I don't drive them daily so I choose the historic plate to pay $30 for ten years. This option does not require my truck to plate it either way, it is my choice. I choose the cheaper option for my purpose. I don't know which vehicles are allowed on the road with no restrictions other than I have owned several cucv's myself with no issues. I see a lot of other 2 1/2 tons and 5 tons with a plate on the road. I have the same restrictions on my historical vehicles I only use for car shows.

Last edited:

dunedigger

Yep they are looking to screw everybody that owns any MV other than a HWMMV. They just need to leave the laws as is if this is the best they can come up with.
What am I missing? This allows the option to obtain a historic military vehicle specific plate. Where in this amendment does it state all military vehicles must turn in the title for a historic title and all future titles will be historic? In Wisconsin you can get the same version of a historic plate or a standard plate. Is this not the same here aside from it still does not allow a hmmwv to get a standard plate? Keep in mind what I posted is of only the amendment to the existing historic plate to include more options and not the bill in it's entirety..

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What am I missing? This allows the option to obtain a historic military vehicle specific plate. Where in this amendment does it state all military vehicles must turn in the title for a historic title and all future titles will be historic? In Wisconsin you can get the same version of a historic plate or a standard plate. Is this not the same here aside from it still does not allow a hmmwv to get a standard plate? Keep in mind what I posted is of only the amendment to the existing historic plate to include more options and not the bill in it's entirety..
Well maybe someone should post a pdf. of the entire bill . It is clear by the list of vehicles listed this is wrote by hmmwv and WWII vehicle owners with only their interests in mind . I don't see a need to have a hand picked very selective list of MV's listed , it should just say all MV's . Also with the historic plate , doesn't the state require the the vehicle to be unmodified from it's original build ? I know street rods have to have regular plates.

Last edited:

dunedigger

Well maybe someone should post a pdf. of the entire bill .
It is clear by the list of vehicles listed this is wrote by hmmwv and WWII vehicle owners with only their interests in mind . I don't see a need to have a hand picked very selective list of MV's listed , it should just say all MV's . Also with the historic plate , doesn't the state require the the vehicle to be unmodified from it's original build ? I know street rods have to have regular plates.
I believe it does say all military vehicles. It specifically includes but states not limited to. My truck has a 4" lift, custom pretty much everything, a 383 stroker I dynoed at 511 hp and 496 lf lbs of torque. I've been to a lot of car shows and seen the plate on a wide range of street rods. In the beginning of this thread, it shows the entire existing bill with the changes in red. It you read that and ignore the red amened words, you can read the existing law.

Last edited:

dunedigger

MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949

257.20a “Historic vehicle” defined.Sec. 20a.
"Historic vehicle" means a vehicle that is over 25 years old, and that is owned solely as a collector's item and for participation in club activities, exhibitions, tours, parades, and similar uses, including mechanical testing, but is not used for general transportation. For purposes of this section, use of the vehicle during the month of August in each year is considered an exhibition.

History: Add. 1996, Act 404, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996 ;-- Am. 2012, Act 239, Imd. Eff. June 29, 2012

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks