• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cammo Cargo Covers???

Tackettr

How is the Cammo pattern applied to the vinyl cargo covers? Is it just paint?

I have one solid green one and one that looks like it is just faded paint. Has anyone painted these covers and had good luck with it sticking?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I just put one on my dropside truck. I noticed it had a dotted outline on it. I figure it was painted with a vinal specific paint.

YankeeDuece

A couple of years back I took a tour of Brenton Industries. They are the largest cover contractor to the US Govt.

Anyway, all woodland tops start off solid green. They put the new cover over a mocked-up bed, that has the camo pattern on it. Using a spray gun they apply a coating with IR reflective properties to the cover and blend it to match the bed. The coatings remain pliable long after it dries.

Brenton supplies tops and soft doors from HMMWV's to FMTV's and all sizes of trailers. They even build tents and shelters.

Reactions: NDT

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is paint...but you need the correct paint so that it sticks to the vinyl, which is constantly flexing.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a suggestion...and it probably is one you already considered. There are guys on here who have used camo cargo covers for sale. Don (HEADWIZARD) has a few cargo covers, I believe. You may want to contact him. If you are able to locate one for a reasonable sum, then sell your solid green cover. There are probably guys out there who have a solid 383 green deuce who want your cover.

halftrack

I have done some experimenting with regular flat black rustoleum on the vinyl cargo covers. I have painted several patches (on the front, behind the cab) to see if it had any adverse effects. It's still holding and not flaking considering the big swing in temps. we had here lately in N.O. However, I did not paint any areas larger than a 2' x 2' area.

Tackettr

BKubu: Good copy on the trade or sell on my green one.

Halftrack: I was thinking the same thing on my faded Cammo one.

All: Thanks for your input.:-D

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I have some also but will not be in a position to ship them until late May. Aberdeen first. I hate shipping things.

harry

you can also go to most auto stores and they have paint made for vinyl and plastic in many colors ( has a flex agent in it ) , the vinly cover needs to be clean so will stick dish soap in water works well as leaver little resdue and cuts grease , let dry and paint dont use amy oil paints as could soffen vinyl

Harry

shepsjeep

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a tan cover for my M105 and painted it with the camo green spray paint 8 months ago and no fading yet. I got the paint at home depot, Rustoleum. You will need to wash the cover with Simple Green or other grease remover before painting.

Check it out on my motorpool pics.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks