• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

camo paint question

HillbillyDeluxe

i have a 1971 deuce and i want to take care of the little rust on it and freshen up the faded paint but i dont know what colors to use cause it is so faded its hard to tell what colors are on it... any suggestions?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck is currently painted 3 color camo. The colors are: 383 Green, 383 Black and 383 Brown. Mark Dodd, at RAPCO in TX, sells the Gillespie CARC-like paint in gallons and in spray cans. There is also a supplier that sells actual CARC in spray cans called MISPRAY, but the paint is fairly pricey. Stay away from Aervoe. I've heard they changed their formula, but I've seen too many trucks painted in Aervoe fade badly (and quickly).

mangus580

BKubu said:
Stay away from Aervoe. I've heard they changed their formula, but I've seen too many trucks painted in Aervoe fade badly (and quickly).
Yeah, they made all sorts of 'Promises' to me when I painted the 1009 4 years ago.... You should see the roof! Pink as pink can be :-(

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And your camo pattern is in TB 43-0209, you can find it under "resources", "technical manuals" here on the site.

Cheers

nattieleather

Yeah what they said....I'd stay away from the real CARC paint...it's nasty stuff....But the Gillispie paint in the NATO colors are great and I would recomend them.

Manstein

Chaplain Emeritus
CARC is loaded with stuff called Isocyanates. It allows the paint to harden so that it has the protection of the stuff spray in bedliners is made of. If you breathe it you can get sensitized to it and it can kill you. Which also applies to the dust when you sand it.

I painted mine last year and used the Rapco rattle cans. It turned out great and is still looking tall.

B3.3T

Paint

I have painted 12 MV in the past ten years, and will only use Gillespie from RAPCO. Reasonably priced and holds up great.

nattieleather

CARC has also tested to cause cancer...so to me it's nasty and should be avoided...espically when you can get the Gillispie for a reasonable price and it is so easy to work with, and holds up very well.

troyb

I am the QC/Safety manager with Milspray. Just a note to let everyone know that we have paint available that is the same color as our CARC offerings but without the good stuff.

tm america

i have a four color camo on my truck i'm gonna be repainting it pretty soon does anybody know the colors that were used .i believe the grean is 383 green and the tan is dessert tan ,black and i dont know what the brown color is since it is alot lighter than 383 brown