• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Camp Shelby semi trailer recovery

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I picked up my “M119A1 Trailer, cargo, van” at Camp Shelby Thursday. This was my first solo recovery (Bryan 4583794589349889 wanted to come, but he was working about 200 miles offshore). It was a 3-hour drive each way in my M818, and it was nice bonding with the old girl. Actually, she’s about 20 years younger than me, but my wife isn’t jealous.

The only issues were caused by driver error. I set the redneck cruise control for a long section of open road. Worked real well until I came into Liberty, MS (the home of Jerry Clower if you remember back that far). As I approached town, I pushed the throttle/cruise control in and let off the gas, and it started to slow down. Then I went to downshift, but when I came out of 5th gear, the RPMs shot back to 2000!!!! I pulled the Emergency Stop since I didn’t know if I had a runaway , put it in neutral, stepped on the brakes, and pulled it over to a convenient spot between the Sheriff’s office and the county courthouse. Once things got quiet, and I pulled the seat cover out of my butt, I realized it had to be the throttle cable that was sticking. Popped the hood, jiggled the cable, reset the Emergency stop cable, and I was on the road again.

To keep the gear shift from hitting my coffee mug in the drink holder, I put the holder above the steering wheel. On the road about another hour, I grabbed the mug with my left hand, brought it around the left side of the steering wheel, and at that instant, the engine died. More seat suction, gear shift into neutral and searching for a place to pull over. This time it took about 15 minutes to figure out the coffee mug had hit the battery switch and flipped it off, killing the engine.

Got to Camp Shelby about 15 minutes late, but had to wait awhile anyway since they were really busy. Finally got to the yard, hooked up to the trailer, and started back to the office …….with the emergency brake on!!!! I could tell something was wrong and thought the trailer brakes were dragging, but all the tires were rolling OK. I pulled over to the shoulder again to check out the burning smell I thought was coming from the engine. As I turned in the seat to get out, I saw the emergency brake lever was still up. That was the first time I’ve done that, but at my age, it probably won’t be the last.

I was wearing my LA SS Rally tee shirt with www. Steelsoldier.com on the front, and Tony asked if I knew some other members, like Tim and another guy who was putting hemitt rims and larger tires on his 5-ton expandable. I told him I got the tee shirt at Timntruck’s place where the rally was held, and that I saw the photos of GoldenEagle’s truck with the new tires, and it looked great. Tony said Hi to you. He has always been a great help to me.

Had a pleasant 3 hour trip home with no further stupid driver moves to threaten heart failure. Turns out both the M818 and trailer unit markings are for the 367th Maintenance Co., so maybe I reunited an old couple! Had the wife take a photo of us today. You can’t tell, but my butt is sore – must be from all the sphincter muscle exercising.

Attachments

Last edited:

frodobaggins

Looks great man. Get us some more pictures of the box :)
Is that the one with all the crap in the back including the ladder ?
(I want that ladder :) )

goldneagle

Looks great! Glad you made it back safely!

BTW I did the same thing FORGETTING to release the emergency brake a while back. You are not the first! I still have to go out and readjust mine because it doesn't make contact with the drum!

bryan70546

Now you see what happens when you dont wait for me to get in. :-D Thats one cool pic of you and your new toy .Wish I could of been there .Glad you made it home .We need to paint that rig , NO SPRAY PAINT woo man that would take a while. Maybe next time which i am sure there will be :-D

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it was the one that looked full of junk, but it was just styrofoam that someone had put on the ceiling that had fallen down, and some wood. Took me about 1 hour to clean out, and pull out the remains of a wooden inner wall. The ladder is nice, but doesn't fit the bumper holes.

I hope to fill the trailer with horse hay this weekend in spite of threat of rain, but I'll take an empty trailer photo first.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The M818 by itself does about 52 mph at 2100 RPM, but seems happier doing 50 mph at 2000 RPM. I think the governor kicks in at around 2300, but I try not to get that high.

With the trailer hitched, I was cruising at around 49 mph at 2000 RPM.

saddamsnightmare

August 29th, 2009.

Some guys have all the luck.......:p, but most of yours were operator errors.....
at least you made it home in one piece. The parking brake location does tend to be a problem.... the coffee holder should be replaced with a pair of M14/M16 holders... that way you won't cut the engine out and if you're really careful you can have two coffees or three Pepsi's!:-D My M35A2 can hold three if you have a helper to pull out the rifle retainer clips.....

Unfortunately, on my S404.114 Unimog, the Swiss put their rifle racks to the left rear of the driver and passenger seats, and neither of them are any use for holding your drink!!

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan:twisted:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks