• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can 12 and 24 V share same ground?

cyruscat

Hooking up a 24 to 12 volt conveter and wandering if both systems can share chassis ground?

Would like to ground 12 volt lights and stuff to chassis instead of running seperate ground wires.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yes, but only when you have a 24v alt hooked to two batterys and a second 12v alt hooked to one(of those two) battery.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im running a 12 volt and a 24 volt alt. Both grounded to the exact same place.

majorhitt

Look at it this way, They are both neg. ground systems. The 12v system has a Pos and a Neg, The 24v system also has a Pos and a Neg. Pos is the Plus voltage being 12 or 24 The neg is the zero voltage . As noted by Dug He terminated the neg cables in the same spot. Just don't mix the pos voltages.

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I asked the same question

I once asked this same question of an engineer and he laughed and said"Of course we
did it all the time with DC voltages when I was on a ship in the Navy" and look at it this way,the alternators on a lot of the newer MV's (HMMWV's especially) are now dual voltage 12/24 and they share a common ground point.
popacom / BILL in KY.:jumpin:

Tanner

Maybe I'm the smart one here this time... ALL grounds are eventually going to the chassis, unless you opt to string a ground wire from your truck to a metal pole pounded into the ground?

'Tanner'

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe I'm the smart one here this time... ALL grounds are eventually going to the chassis, unless you opt to string a ground wire from your truck to a metal pole pounded into the ground?

'Tanner'
I carry a load of dirt in the bed with a ground rod.

;-)

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that grounded to you seat bolt too DUG.
Everything grounds to the seat bolt. The bed winch is grounded there now too. The seat bolt is the life of the truck. I want my azz GROUNDED.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks