• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a Deuce pull a Deuce?

premacpmc

Can you pull a duece with a duece with a towbar?For one I'm not sure if it is legal and two not sure if it is safe. I'm buying another duece and they want $3.00 to $3.50 a mile to deliver and I was wondering if a duece could pull a duece?I'm in Colorado and they lose some power out here. Then on another weird question, can you sipe the tires to get better traction in the snow? I make tire sipers for dirt track cars and was wondering if anyone has tried it on the military tires?
Thx Mike

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: YES!!!

I cut a Military trailer extenision cable, then patched in magnetic stick on tow lights with 24 volt bulbs from Napa......

FreightTrain

Banned

If you have a bunch of wire laying around and some military connectors you could just disconnect the lights on the front vehicle,run a jumper to the rear vehicles tail lights.Be cheaper than a magnetic tow light since you will have to get a military trailer pig tail,2 lights,bunch of wire,and magnets.You can use standard bullet connectors available at any radio shack.

spicergear

Make sure the front tires on the towee are pumped up as high as recommended and that truck will tow like a dream. Soggy tires on the towee will turn your day into a massive headache.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Then on another weird question, can you sipe the tires to get better traction in the snow? I make tire sipers for dirt track cars and was wondering if anyone has tried it on the military tires?"

I think tire siping is a good thing, haven't done any testing per se, but have almost 5,000 highway miles on siped tires.

Note: From the image showing the wear, you may think that the tires are underinflated, but I run them at 70 psi. The lack of wear in the center may be because of less flexing....

All six of my 1100-20 NDCCs are siped. It takes about 15 minutes to do each tire.

Attachments

CGarbee

I added a civilian four wire trailer plug to my M35A2C (spliced it in to the harness right behind the military intervehicular trailer plug on the duece. Picked up a spool of flat four wire color coded wire at Northern Tool one day and made a long cable to run from the plug on the duece to the back of the towed vehicle. I've got a spare pair of military composit lights bolted to a piece of flat steel stock that has some eyebolts and rubber bumpers mounted to it that I can bolt/bungee on to the back of most anything I've tried to flat tow (M35's, M37's so far). It would be easy (and fairly innexpensive) to do the same thing with civlian trailer lights...

I passed on a military light bar setup years ago not knowing how much I'd want one now, but the homebrew only set works well and was cheap... :) I'll see if I can find a photo of it in use...

pfarber

I've moved 2 CCKW (one from WA to PA, the other from FL to PA) and NEVER paid more than $1.25 per mile.. DOOR TO DOOR, loading, insurance etc.

What are you telling them that gets you a $3.50 quote? I just moved my last CCKW (non runner) from Ft Lauderdale FL to Gordon PA.. 1200 miles, for $1500. $1.25 per mile, door to door, non-running vehicle.

EO2NMCB

Pfarber the key to your statement was that it was coming out of FL. Freight out of FL is very cheap, any time that I run freight into FL you get high dollar rates going in, cause half the time you can count on dead heading into GA for your next load. BTW that 3.50 a mile had to be a full truck load rate with no discount.

Michael

I cut a Military trailer extenision cable, then patched in magnetic stick on tow lights with 24 volt bulbs from Napa......
This is a different bulb than the ones that fit a composite light isn't it? I have a box of them around here somewhere but before I spend the rest of the day looking for them I thought I would ask. I am thinking that composite lights use one bulb for brake lights and another bulb for tail lights. My magnetic light uses one bulb with two different filaments. A part number would be nice if you have one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks