• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a Deuce to tow a Deuce on a trailer without a CDL ? Yes.

M-1028

I've hauled a couple M35's now, you need a good truck and trailer to make it a smooth experience. My 2012 F450 handled the load amazing, cruise was on 70 for 3 hrs. The load was right at 24,000, GVWR for my truck is 33,000, so I was close to maxed out. I'd pull that load across the country if I had to.

walkerhunter

I can tell you that GA dot had me hauled in would not let my truck move because of no cdl. I railer was in a 2006 f450 with a tandem axle deckover bumper pull trailer it was raited at 7ton, truck was 13 14 k and I was empty but it dont matter.

originalstarhauler

For those that might not know it. A lot of school districts will assist and some will even pay for your Class "B" CDL. Since most school buses utilze air brakes that will mean having the air brake endorsement. The air brake endorsement is not a SAT test for college! For those that want a CDL here is free testing like you might see on a CDL test including air brake http://www.cristcdl.com/otc/

Last edited:

quickfarms

Its not what you can tow.
Its what you do tow. So if youre towing over 10k its considered commercial and yes you do need a class A.
There are exceptions for farmers, firemen and rvs on weight restrictions of the primary vehicle.
Even in Cslifornia, one of the strictest states in the nation, you dont need a cdl due to the air over hydraulic brakes on a deuce (according to enclyopedia) because Ca. recognizes the hydraulic aspect of the braking system as being the primary aspect of the overall system, thus, reportedly, they do not require a cdl there for a deuce either.
Anyway, when I asked, I was told it was not needed. I dont really know of anyone who got a cdl in Ga. for a deuce.
But in California you need a class b because it has 3 axles over 6,000 ld GVW, not 26,000 lbs GVW, you will also need a class a to tow a trailer over 10,000 GVW. If the vehicle is registered as a house car, RV, you can use a non commercial class b or a. Now here is the interesting part a historic vehicle is just exempted from the weight fees so you still need a CDL. A lot of cops and the DMV do not know the law but this is per the CHP.

GFB

But in California you need a class b because it has 3 axles over 6,000 ld GVW, not 26,000 lbs GVW, you will also need a class a to tow a trailer over 10,000 GVW. If the vehicle is registered as a house car, RV, you can use a non commercial class b or a. Now here is the interesting part a historic vehicle is just exempted from the weight fees so you still need a CDL. A lot of cops and the DMV do not know the law but this is per the CHP.
Yet another reason not to live in Commiefornia.

dburt

My grandma always told me that just because you can do something, does not mean that you should or that it would be a good idea.
I sold my deuce M35 w/w to a Canadian who showed up for it with a one ton Chevy 4X4 dually Duramax diesel and a 24 ft gooseneck trailer with dual axles running tandems. The deuce made the trailer squat. He had a 700 mile trip back home. I advised him to stay out of Oregon since his combined gross weight was well over 26K. He went up north thru Idaho to the border, and was not bothered by anyone, since Idaho is a little more easy going then Oregon. He called when he got home and said it was a long hard pull, especially over all the passes but he made it ok.
So yes, some things can be done, but it is not always the best or wisest thing to do!

M-1028

My grandma always told me that just because you can do something, does not mean that you should or that it would be a good idea.
I sold my deuce M35 w/w to a Canadian who showed up for it with a one ton Chevy 4X4 dually Duramax diesel and a 24 ft gooseneck trailer with dual axles running tandems. The deuce made the trailer squat. He had a 700 mile trip back home. I advised him to stay out of Oregon since his combined gross weight was well over 26K. He went up north thru Idaho to the border, and was not bothered by anyone, since Idaho is a little more easy going then Oregon. He called when he got home and said it was a long hard pull, especially over all the passes but he made it ok.
So yes, some things can be done, but it is not always the best or wisest thing to do!
I guess I was more prepared, triple 12K axles, 12 14 ply tires and 6 16" drum brakes just on the trailer equals smooth sailing. That load could accelerate, brake and corner better than a stock unloaded deuce.
Truck didn't even squat.