• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a m109 pull a bobbed Deuce

fcdrifter13

OK just kinda thinking out loud here for a future project. I am looking to build a m109 into a camper for little expeditions out west but I dont wanna take it on the trails as it is my transport to points unknown. So my question is, if I were to build a bobbed deuce as a toy and pick up a big enough trailer could a m109 pull its weight plus a trailer, and a bobbed deuce. I know more than likely it will be slow but is it safe that is the big thing.

srodocker

I think you would be pushing the limits of the 109 as the 109 is a little slower then the cargo bed deuces as the box weighs a little more *i think*. plus you adding a trailer to it might be a slow going

colelkhunter

technically no distance is too far to flat tow. It is the same as towing it around the block. As long as all the safety precautions are taken, IE safety chains, tail lights on the towed vehicle and a braking system on the towed vehicle. Coupe articles here on how to use the braking system of the towed deuce to your advantage. Plan your routes well and don't do stupid stuff with it in tow and I would think you could tow it anywhere you wanted. Leave the trailer at home. Actually it wouldn't be as severe as a fullsize deuce because of the reduced weight of the bobber. Keep in mind that adding weight to the m109 will decrease any advantage you get for reducing the weight of the towed vehicle. Now then, how many people are you looking to haul? Last I heard a deuce will only haul three, and not very comfortably I might add. More like two in seudo comfort.

I am considering doing the same kinda thing, but using my M35a2c with a s250 shelter in the bed flat towing my bobber or modified 1031. Whichever the even calls for. Use the deuce with the shelter as my base of operations and the towed vehicle for play. Also should you have a problem with the primary deuce, the towed vehicle can be used as a life raft or tow vehicle should the need arise.

Bighurt

Well how far is too far flat towing. We were wanting to go from here to points west, such as vegas the moab, and some state parks that allow full size truck wheeling
Pretty far, if you think about it the military built tow bars for a reason. The downside is legal issues and increase wear on the towed vehicle.

However like mentioned lockout's are a possible solution.

I'm bidding on a few trucks atm, and if I end up with muiltiple units I intend to make one capable of driving and the other will be flat towed. Regardless of distance I wouldn't give i a second thought.

That's just my opinion.