• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a M915A1 pull a M920?

Boosted_Nelson_Inc.

This is a Just-In-Case scenario. My brother and I are looking at buying a M920 sometime soon on GL. We rather not have to pay someone to haul a 920 home if it can be avoided. So we had been thinking of taking the M915A1 to go on the recovery and hopefully get the 920 running and just towbar the 915 back home. But, if the M920 breaks down on the way back or just won't move under its own power, we would still have the 915 to move it if we had to. I towbar trucks on a regular basis for work, but it's almost always the bigger/heavier truck pulling the smaller truck, or equal sized trucks pulling each other.

This isn't a normal towing situation for me, so I figured I would ask the experts for some opinions.

I still need to see if anybody I know would just let me borrow a semi trailer for a couple days instead to eliminate all the hassle.

Thanks

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Power wise I say yes. Weight wise better make real shure the brakes are working/ connected on the 920. The 920 will spin that 915 in a heart beat. I would run the slack adjusters up on the 920 and the rear on the 915 and back of 1/4 more on the front than the rear on the 915. I would be real careful if it rains or wet roads conditions. Don't hit the brakes in a turn/curve. Just go slower and let off sooner.

Last edited:

Bighurt

Provided the breaks work on the M920, I wouldn't hesitate to do it. The truck is rated for it.

James has used his Tru-hitch with one I believe...

Keep in mind you can't just flat tow an M920, you need to disconnect the drive shafts.

jollyroger

OK. This is strictly anticdotal but I have it on good authority that the 915 can be turned around by just about anything in a towbar, flat tow situation. And that would include 915 towing a 915 or a deuce. Maybe not a CUCV, but you get the point.

So the bigger heavier longer 920 I would absolutely not recomend a tow bar flat tow situation.......However.

What you could do if you cant find a trailer is to build a weight box for the back of the 915. That's what the big load haulers do when they need a push truck to get them up and use them in front on the way down. i don't know how much weight it would take to be successful. But I am sure you could find out using Google. Maybe you could borrow a weight box from a trucking company.

Just a thought.

R Racing

The problem with trailering a M920 is that there over 13 feet tall and many of them bridges arn't much taller. If I remember right the M915 weighs in at around 19000 and the M920 is 31000 so as long as the brakes in the m920 are good it should keep you straight and the M915 has the ponys so there wouldn't be a problem there.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummmm, can't you just put the transfer case in neutral??? (rookie question) :deadhorse:
The 920 has a drop box and no changing range or netrual.
If the 920 could be airlined then I still think you could make a trip after you disconnected the drive line like Bighurt said.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read about my experiences towing a M916 with a M915A1 in my thread: "Towing M916 with M915". The M920 is heavier by the extra axle and several feet of frame, otherwise they are the same truck.

Attachments

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only way I would do it is to have somebody riding in the M920 to take control if something goes wrong. Having somebody back there presents it's own set of legal questions but this is the safest way to do it. The problem is if the M920 decides to turn or not straighten up comming out of a turn. It will jerk that M915 around like a rag doll.

Bighurt

If the 920 could be airlined then I still think you could make a trip after you disconnected the drive line like Bighurt said.
By no means would it be a drop the hammer and not look back tow. Like was mentioned by Floridianson, it will be like bobtailing and pulling a full load on in a dolly set up. Adding weight over the tandems is ideal, like the tru-hitch James runs.

Like I said I would do it yes, but there are challenges.

Riding in the M920 while towed is very much illegal, 90% positive in all 50 states.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It is NEVER a good idea to tow a heavier vehicle with a lighter one....it should be done in an emergency only and just to get it out of harms way and to where you can work on it.

You can haul a M920 on a Removable Gooseneck Trailer (RGN) by removing the exhaust stack.

What would be a better option would be to get a Holms Kit fifth wheel wrecker and haul it from the rear.....you would then only have to remove the front driveshaft. That would put plenty of weight on the 5th wheel for traction.

You would run into all sorts of liability issues flat towing a M916 with a M915.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recommend getting the truck hauled professionally. I have taken part in many truck extractions...some without any issues...and others where there were problems. You will remember the ones where there were problems for sure!

M1075

As a "just-in-case" measure, it could be done. However, be careful because the tail can wag the dog. I have had a bad expeience flat towing a deuce with M915A1 and will not do it again, unless extreme measures warrant it. Please see this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/51329-skid-marks-towing.html

A better option is to use a Tru-Hitch. I have towed several vehicles with my M915A1 and Tru-Hitch (including M916A1, M920 and 2 deuces at once). I have pulled these at speeds up to 70 mph and it felt very steady and safe.

Attachments

jollyroger

Oh man......I'm gonna have to get me one of those tru hitches. That is the cat's pajamas. I like it a lot......

Another option just in case you can do it is to load the front of the 920 over the fifth wheel on the 915. I have seen it done. Don't know how it works. I have seen some that had a fifth wheel pin threaded into the bottom of the axle, but on non driver fronts. And I have seen a bar with brackets that chain clamps onto the front driver and hitches into the fifth wheel. This would give you the weight over the drivers that you need to feel comfortable.

But I also understand the simplicity of using the towbar. I just used the towbar the other day for the first time and it was quick and easy. Saved me soo much time over loading onto the trailer. Just a hitch and go. Then unhook back at the farm. But I was using a 5 ton dumper for the tow truck with weight over the driver axles. The truck I was towing had no choice.......It was coming with me no matter what it wanted to do.;-)

And I am confident that you use common sense. You have already demonstrated that by asking some questions and seeking knowedge from others that have done this. I don't have all the answers as you can see from my posts. I am trying to seek better ways for me to do these same things just like you are. But you do with what you have. And if you have a tow bar and a truck and you gotta towbar something. You gotta do what you gotta do. Getting hme is the most important thing.

Derrickl112

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A better option is to use a Tru-Hitch. I have towed several vehicles with my M915A1 and Tru-Hitch (including M916A1, M920 and 2 deuces at once). I have pulled these at speeds up to 70 mph and it felt very steady and safe.

2 m916a1's??? :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: what do you do with all the stuff you get???? sell me one!!!!