• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can a Parking Brake come on by itself?

SLR

I've got a 68 Kaiser. The guy who I got it from stated that the parking brake shoes are worn due to a friend who drove around with the parking break on. I have new shoes to put on it. I had a relative drive the truck from where we acquired it from to his place (about 100 miles). When we arrived the brake was on. My relative believes he started with the brake off, but ended with it on. Is it possible that if something is assembled incorrectly or it has incorrect parts, that it could come on by itself? My inquiring is so I know what to look for before we take it apart to replace the shoes. Thank you in advance.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's a spring that can break that can cause it to drag. How did you notice the brake was on? was the brake handle up? Sounds like maybe your buddy forgot to release the brake.

That's one bad thing about worn or out of adjustment parking brakes. They don't hold enough for a inexperienced driver to notice it's on which in turn wears it more. If the brake is adjusted properly it takes quite a bit of effort to over power it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, there is a way, sort of. The adjusting nut on the cable end sometimes loses its locking ability and certain harmonics will move the nut in one direction or the other. That combined with weak or broken springs could cause it to seem like it's on. It can self adjust into dragging.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Don't worry about what it HAS done. Put on your new parts and adjust it right, then worry about what it does. If you put on the parts and adjust it, I doubt you will have any issues.

gungearz

Gimpys right, it doesn't matter how it happened. Read the tm's to get it right again. Its a good practice to get familiar with the whole system for future troubles...

mcmullag

parking brake

There is a long skinny spring in the top right of the pic that holds, at least the inside shoe off the drum, maybe it affects the outside shoe too. I dont see how it could have come on by itself. If you have the truck on flat ground and a back tire with chocks in front and back of said tire, try working the parking brake handle to the on and off position as you stand next to the truck, mine feels like it moves over a cam lobe type thing to engage and disengage. Common to forget about it until you get around a deuce for awhile. Good luck.

Attachments

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a feeling the brake handle is way out of adjustment, thats why you have a gremlin in the parking brake department. Take Gimps advise and you will be ok..!

3dAngus

I had to put a double nut on my adjustment nut under the emergency brakes. It would vibrate loose like Recovery said.

Get a second nut the same size as the adjustment nut on the Ebrake itself, and once the Ebrake is installed and adjusted properly underneath, back the second nut against the first and tighted it up. With the two nuts back to back, it will not vibrate loose in one direction or the other.

Flyingvan911

Adjusting the brake isn't hard. You will need a .015 feeler gauge. Take your time and, as said above, make sure all the springs are there and in good shape. My brake makes the truck kick if I try to start with it on.

The cable can also get stuck in the winter if there's water in the cable. If freezes and holds the shoes on. You should be able to tell because it will (usually) be hard to push the handle to the floor. Since the weather is warm, I know this isn't your problem but something to keep in mind.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only hard part is reaching the adjusting nut. It's not too bad if you're just turning it a little but if you have to back it all the way off and it's rusty, that's a lot of rounds to turn. That's one unintended advantages of putting a dump on my truck. You just raise the bed and it's right there staring at you.

phil2968

The cable can also get stuck in the winter if there's water in the cable. If freezes and holds the shoes on. You should be able to tell because it will (usually) be hard to push the handle to the floor. Since the weather is warm, I know this isn't your problem but something to keep in mind.
Be careful if the handle won't move down. You can damage the cable if it's sticking. I found this on one of my trucks.

Attachments