• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone help identify this engine?

justinramani

Hello Everyone,

Im sorry if this is posted in the wrong area. I "accidentally" purchased this Hercules Diesel Engine. I didn't think I would win the auction.......but I did. I think it might be used in MEP generators, but im not sure. Can anyone help be out? Any idea what it might be worth? I need to get my $$$ back out of it!!

Thanks!

Pics.jpgpics2.jpgpics3.jpgpics4.jpg

jatonka

It can be a Hercules 198 or a 298. Either way, I don't know which it is but a D-3400 is used on some Mil gensets and on Oliver and Cockshutt ag tractors. It's a winner either way

rustystud

That engine was used on the Air-Force 10KW gensets. I have one. The engine isn't what is worth so much. The injectors and injection pump is. They stopped using this engine when they could no longer get injectors and pumps for it. I know I needed an injector for mine. That was why mine was surplused in the first place. Now it sets outside collecting weeds. There are surplus places that will sell you rebuilt and even NOS parts, but you will pay big time for them ! I can buy another running MEP-003A for the price they wanted for new parts to fix mine. So you will be lucky to find someone who will want a rebuilt engine without any injectors and injection pump.

justinramani

That engine was used on the Air-Force 10KW gensets. I have one. The engine isn't what is worth so much. The injectors and injection pump is. They stopped using this engine when they could no longer get injectors and pumps for it. I know I needed an injector for mine. That was why mine was surplused in the first place. Now it sets outside collecting weeds. There are surplus places that will sell you rebuilt and even NOS parts, but you will pay big time for them ! I can buy another running MEP-003A for the price they wanted for new parts to fix mine. So you will be lucky to find someone who will want a rebuilt engine without any injectors and injection pump.
Great info. Looks like this one may be filed into the "got burnt" file. Hopefully I can at least break even. Do you know of any other applications for this engine, or is 10k Gen set about it?

justinramani

Rustystud,

Isn't this a big engine for a 10k Gen set? I would think it would fit 30k????

rustystud

381.jpg
Rustystud,

Isn't this a big engine for a 10k Gen set? I would think it would fit 30k????
Here's a picture of mine. The generator say it is a 10KW unit but it has the ability to go to 30% over capacity. I asked at the base (McCord Air-Force base) what this was used for. They told me it was a field hospital unit or a power source for a mobile "tower" for planes. I never knew that the air-Force had "MASH" units though. Or for that matter mobile air ports. It has a radiator and a 50 gallon diesel tank underneath the engine.

Last edited:

rustystud

Rustystud's engine looks like a 4 and the OP's is a 6.
Your right ! I didn't even notice that. I need to look closer to the pictures next time. Though he will still have the same problems I did finding injectors and injection pumps as that is the same series engine as mine, just two more cylinders.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks