• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can Anyone ID This Genset?

OD_Coyote

I am thinking about buying one of Uncle Sam's old diesel gensets and I found one for sale about 200 miles away. The guy claims not to know a whole about the genset he is selling, but he did say it is an Onan 10KW genset with a Deutz 2 cylinder air cooled diesel with 3000 hours, and it runs good. It is trailer mounted and the guy wants $1k for it.
Can any of you ID this unit?
What do you think?

Thanks,
C. D. Hunter

Attachments

Bill W

Mil 10kw diesel genset ( MEP-003A ) are 4 cylinders the one in your pic looks like a MEP-002A, 2 cylinder aircooled Onan/Cummins 5kw (7kw max) mil genset which you don't see many of.

OD_Coyote

Bill W - Thanks for the ID on the genset. Do you know if the Deutz diesel is a good engine and do you know what the life expectancy is of one of these units?
Is 3000 hours getting toward sunset or is it mid-day?

Bill W

The engine in the genset your looking at is a aircooled Cummins not a Deutz. I think 3000hrs is kinda high for aircooled but not over the hill but I'm no expert on these gensets , I'm sure someone here will pipe in OR go to the the below link and they'll have some sound answers for you.

Link removed, was dead. Answer to the question, 3000 is just getting the engine broke in.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks