• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can anyone identify this Hercules engine?

original

I'm buying this engine bolted to a 4 speed transmission in a chevy box truck. I know it is a 4 cylinder hercules turbo diesel, but I would like to know the exact model. I may drop it into my farm use 08 with a blown motor or use it on a generator. It just depends on how much power it has. I've looked at a few specs for similiar motors and they provide around 85 HP. Just trying to figure out what I'm buying.

Attachments

original

Thanks, I've just never seen this setup before in a chevy truck. I just wish the motor was comparable to a 4bt. Then I would put it in my best 08. Hopefully, someone will know the model number. I will post some more pictures after I tow it home next week.

original

This engine is a Hercules D198ER. The D198ER is designed for military applications. It has a displacement of 198 cubic inches, and produces 58 horsepower at 2,600 rpm. It is 32 inches long, 24 inches wide, and 31 inches tall. It weighs 695 lbs.

original

I found a few on GL, so I think your right. They experimented with them in a few different applications. I believe I'm going to put it in the old farm 08. It may be underpowered, but it never goes on the road.

original

Well, i got the engine and transmission out of the truck and it is in great shape. The engine in the chevy box truck ran great and the transmission shifted smooth. I've already got the old seized 6.2 out of the 08. I think your right southdave, I'm going to go ahead and drop it in place. It will suit the job perfectly. I use my tractor to haul all the time, so a least it will save wear and tear on the tractor. I got the box truck up to 65 on the way home. I'm guessing the rear axle gear is below the 3.00 range. It never hurts to try, I just dread fitting the four speed manual under the truck. The bolt pattern on the Hercules will not fit the th400. I'm just going to fabricate a clutch pedal and rob parts from an old ford manual truck to get it going. Thanks, Henry

southdave

Heck fire..just swap the rear of the van for time being... axles will turn up or 6.2 ...get all billy with it. if you got the time and where with all I got pile of 6.2 and 6.5 to get 1008 on the road.. for your consideration

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks