• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can ether bottle be taken on and off?

SUPERSPORT

1991 M923A2 6CTA8.3 that doesn't like to start in cold weather.

My 3rd winter with this truck and I finally found someone that had an ether bottle in stock. KAT 33118.

When I pulled the old one out the rubber gasket was stuck to it and fell on ground. I found it but it's pretty dry and I'd say shot. I've spent a couple days trying to find a new gasket. Of course nobody stocks them and most of the places I've called have no clue what I'm talking about. I think I tracked down the part number to KAT 33119. I've only found a couple places online but they want to sell you a whole bag of them. Turns out NAPA does sell them even though 2 stores told me they don't. 69 cents. I convinced a guy at NAPA to order some but he said it would take a few days.

I need to move the truck tomorrow. I hate to screw a $50 bottle on with a bad gasket and it leak out. If the gasket doesn't seal can I unscrew bottle and it seals up like a propane bottle does? BTW, does anyone have a source for the gaskets in case NAPA falls through?

my76fj40

Can't you use regular starting fluid in a can and give a short shot into the intake while turning over until you can get your parts?

SUPERSPORT

Can't you use regular starting fluid in a can and give a short shot into the intake while turning over until you can get your parts?
Yea, but I'm just excited about seeing how well the ether system works.

We have been in the single digits with below 0 wind chills. It takes 10 or more crank sessions and a couple sprays of starting fluid. Seems like it takes awhile to "hit" the engine. Hoping the ether system kicks the engine over a little quicker. Less drain on batteries and strain on starter.

Eventually I plan on doing a block heater.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
SUPERSPORT;1821021[COLOR=#ffd700 said:
]Yea, but I'm just excited about seeing how well the ether system works.
[/COLOR]
We have been in the single digits with below 0 wind chills. It takes 10 or more crank sessions and a couple sprays of starting fluid. Seems like it takes awhile to "hit" the engine. Hoping the ether system kicks the engine over a little quicker. Less drain on batteries and strain on starter.

Eventually I plan on doing a block heater.
If it is leaking around the bottle it still won't start correctly . You won't find how well the system really works untill the gasket is replaced.

MtnSnow

If you want you can pull the nylon hose from the ether bottle connector and plug it into the spray nozzle of a can of starting fluid that way your injecting it right into the intake just like using the ether bottle. The reason it takes so long cranking when using a spray can of starting fluid is how long the air intake system is plus it has to get pulled in past the air filter where as using the on-board system is injecting it much closer to the actual engine.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pull out the air filter and give shots of ether directly into the intake tube in the back of the canister. Your long crank time is because it takes the ether time to work its way through the filter. With the filter in there is also the danger of too much ether as one tries to get it to go by keeping spraying ether, not realizing it is taking time for the first shots to get through the filter. When it does start, then the over-saturated filter feeds too much ether possibly causing damage.

SUPERSPORT

Well 2 days wasted on NAPA. They never came in but said they would order them again and charge me $10 shipping for a 69 cent gasket.

After some more calling around I found a local truck supply place that had a ton of them in stock. 29 cents. I bought 2.

It wasn't as cold today. In the low 20s with a pretty good wind chill. Holy crap does this system work! Truck started on first crank with a shot from the ether system.

Amer-team

any brand and number on the gaskets from the truck supply? We are trying to figure out why my friends 923A1 system isn't working. Got a new bottle, but don't think he replaced the gasket. I have a 923 and have to work on my dash switch, as it goes in, but does not want to come out. Tried the 923 at 20 degrees with no ether, no go. M54, 6 rolls of the engine, no ether and it fired right up.

74M35A2

If this is the gasket between the bottle and the unit the bottle screws into, the propane thing is spot on. Try to get a gasket for a propane torch head, it should be the exact same size required, I think.

SUPERSPORT

any brand and number on the gaskets from the truck supply? We are trying to figure out why my friends 923A1 system isn't working. Got a new bottle, but don't think he replaced the gasket. I have a 923 and have to work on my dash switch, as it goes in, but does not want to come out. Tried the 923 at 20 degrees with no ether, no go. M54, 6 rolls of the engine, no ether and it fired right up.
Kats 33119 is what I was searching for. Hard to find and the couple places that have them want you to buy a 6 or 12 pack then shipping.

I don't have any kind of number on ones I found. This was a big warehouse and he went in the back and came back with 2 gaskets in his hand. They are the corky rubber type.

If you wanna PP me a doller and address I'll mail you a couple.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
If push comes to shove, remove the air filter and use a propane torch, (or any other heat producing device, like a hair blow dryer) to preheat intake air. Works like a charm. Starts EVERY time. Just light the torch, hold it in front of the intake and turn over the engine.

Amer-team

SuperS, thank you for the offer. Friend lives a bit away and he is having a guy help him on Monday to take a look at this issue. We will know more then. He told me that they did not replace any gaskets, so will see what he has to say. Now I have to look at mine too and see if that is an issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks