• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can i bypass the vacuum regulator valve?

67buickss

was having problems with vac at the trans and found out that i have 20 vac going into th vacuum regulator valve and around 10 coming out so i cleaned it and nothing changed, i dont have enough right now to buy a new one and was wondering if it will hurt to just bypass the whole thing?

gwag

I think you can but it will make the trans shift early. I messed with this once but cant really remember it seems like you can swap the lines at the valve & it will accomplish the same thing (bypass) I bet someone who knows for sure will chime in but I know the info can be found here by searching. Thats how I got it before.

SPECIALTYLC

Sounds like its working if you have 10 psi . Did you try adjusting the valve to change the shifts? If it wasnt needed they wouldnt have put it on.

ida34

It varies the vacuum based on throttle position. Full vacuum should not be applied until you are at full throttle.

gwag

What is it doing? Mine was shifting late then hard I have replaced the regulator and had it adjusted by an ex gm mechanic with a vac guage and it still shifts late & hard but it seems like when it gets good & warmed up it shifts good I think my next move will be filter & fluid change & then maybe look at the modulator on the trans. Not to hijack the thread but since it could be the same issue any thoughts on this course of action?

Keith_J

You have to understand how the transmission is "programmed" to shift using the manifold vacuum of a gasoline engine. And vacuum is inversely proportional to power in normally aspirated gasoline engines.

Most gasoline engines pull 17-19" Hg at idle or when coasting, sometimes more. When the throttle is suddenly depressed, vacuum drops to 0-2" Hg. As engine speed builds, the vacuum increases.

So if you are shifting late, the first thing to check is all the lines for leaks. This includes the big short line off the vacuum pump (rear of engine), the reducing tee and cap (or reducing elbow), then the lines going to the vacuum modulator (by the injection pump) and then the line from the modulator to the steel line on the right cylinder head. Finally, check the rubber line to the transmission.

If you still have late, hard shifting, test the vacuum pump alone, it should pull 22" Hg. The next two are the vacuum modulator by the IP and finally, the transmission modulator.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks