• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can i paint my jon boat with gillespie 383

tripp2727

my duck boat needs new paint and i have about a gallon of gillespie 383 green left over from my 1009. will this work/adhere to aluminum and not be too brittle and flake off? i had read somewhere that original carc was brittle but the new water based stuff was more flexible. if this will work what kind of primer is best to use as well as the best way to apply to the boat. i dont have a sprayer and am not really concerned with final appearance as it will be painted over with camo so will either brushing or rolling it on work? thanks for the help

cornrichard

I have always treated aluminum with zink oxide primer before painting. I will admit that it has been years but it always worked great on the old aluminum bread vans.

wb1895

Most of the new NON-armored military vehicles are aluminum, and are painted with CARC. I dont know why it wouldnt work........ But Murphy does seem to poke his head around alot lately.....

tripp2727

yeah i have read about the zinc oxide self etching primer so i will try that for sure. my main concern was that with the slight flexing of the boat and being under water if that would effect the paint and cause it to flake off. thanks for the help im going to try and roll it on this week.

Barrman

We painted my son's boat with 24052 gillespie a year ago and it has held up great. I imagine the 383 will work just as well. Contact Beast here on SS and have him make up military style stickers for the name. Makes the boat look really cool.

Nonotagain

my duck boat needs new paint and i have about a gallon of gillespie 383 green left over from my 1009. will this work/adhere to aluminum and not be too brittle and flake off? i had read somewhere that original carc was brittle but the new water based stuff was more flexible. if this will work what kind of primer is best to use as well as the best way to apply to the boat. i dont have a sprayer and am not really concerned with final appearance as it will be painted over with camo so will either brushing or rolling it on work? thanks for the help
Gillespie paint is not CARC it's just plain old enamel paint. It's nothing special.

For resistance to moisture you need either a urethane or and epoxy paint with a good quality primer.

Aluminum can be tricky to get paint to adhere to without either roughing the surface or changing the surface chemistry. A chromate conversion coating is the preferred method followed by a self etching primer which will contain an acid component that has to be mixed in just prior to application.

Lots of paint companies call their primers "self-etching", but without the acid component it's not.