• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I paint this antenna?

jvrotter

Installing a GPS in my M1009 and want to add a GPS marine antenna. Its a mag mount and looks pretty good on top of the cab. Problem is its white and I'd like it to match the green truck. I was planning on using the Rapco stuff or a water based latex. Have heard of problems when you paint antennas. Is this the case for my situation?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, IMHO. I can tell you from work experience that painting antennas for much higher frequencies will cause no trouble (Ku Band). Just don't use metallic/metal-bearing paint, which you indicated you were not.

Taurus454

The antenna is white for a reason! The color white ensures the coolest operating temperature possible under extreme heat conditions. Painting the antenna any color other than white could exceed the designed temperature threshold for the antenna and cause significant problems and errors.

Case in point, the Phalanx antenna dome is factory painted white for the reasons noted above. When used as part of C-RAM and mounted on a flat-bed, it comes with instructions to not paint the dome.

I took ambient surface temperature measurements in the desert and you will not believe hot things can get just sitting in the sun. If it were me, I would not paint it!

Rustygears

I would not paint it. Not for thermal reasons, but RF reasons. Why risk ruining the antenna because the coating had slot of titanium dioxide and reduced the antenna sensitivity in the microwave bands gps uses. Besides, where you mount the antenna (assuming the flat patch type that are about 3/8" thick) nobody can easily see from street level so it won't detract from the vehicle appearance. Now if you are truly trying to be stealthy...

Hightechken

I agree that metalic type paints are a no no, If it were mine, I would paint a plastic plate or other non conductor item that could be used as a cover (Underside) with your proposed paint, Just duct tape that over the antenna and see how it works before you paint the actual item......

deuceaid

Banned
listen, Im tired ,,ok, but these old radar guys will piss and whine all day long(and I agree with them)-(when were tacking things on radar)....

otherwise, be smart, coat the ant with grease, lard , wax.....then paint it, and see what it does......... if its bad, wipe it away,,, you wanna hear old timers complain about MW(micro wave) then join the san berdo micro society......

jvrotter

Well I did paint it, actually before the "don't do it" posts so too late now. I have not noticed any difference in satellite reception. As soon as I turn on the receiver, I get 7 or 8 full bars so the paint doesn't seem to make much difference. Now the heat factor may come into play down the road. The antenna only cost me $25 so no big expense. I had done this before and had mounted the antenna to my FAV. It worked when I first used it. I left it on the vehicle for 7-8 years and when I tried it again, didn't work. So either the paint or getting bashed around on the buggy did it in.

armytruck63

Cool looking antenna Jerry. Today is the summer solstice with the most direct sun of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. Let the M1009 sit in the sun all day and then see if the antenna works. I'm thinking you won't have any problems.

The antenna is white for a reason! The color white ensures the coolest operating temperature possible under extreme heat conditions. Painting the antenna any color other than white could exceed the designed temperature threshold for the antenna and cause significant problems and errors.

Case in point, the Phalanx antenna dome is factory painted white for the reasons noted above. When used as part of C-RAM and mounted on a flat-bed, it comes with instructions to not paint the dome.

I took ambient surface temperature measurements in the desert and you will not believe hot things can get just sitting in the sun. If it were me, I would not paint it!

I have several GPS antennas that came from the factory BLACK. They all work just fine.