• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I pull a M101 trailer with a M1009 CUCV?

Sverige

I assume it will pull the weight, however, I'd like to know if there's any other issues I should consider before buying one from GL.

pnishr

From my searches before, I've found: yes... and no...

The WEIGHT, sure. The weak point is going to be the hitch. Or really, the bumper to which the hitch is affixed. :)

I have one on my m1009 right now, but my next mod is going to be super-beefy bumpers, front and rear, to include a beefier way to attach the pintle-hitch so it doesn't get ripped off.

Now that you have a bit of an answer, do a search to see the debate as to whether you can or SHOULD haul the trailer. Light loads and not off-road, I'd lean towards OK. Heavy load, sharp turns, off-road... not so much.

KaiserM109

Something that isn’t mentioned much is the differences in M101s. An M101A1 has no active brakes, only parking brakes. An M101A2 has surge brakes and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND them. If you’d been with me coming off of Squaw Pass in My Bronco with a moderately loaded M101A1, you’d be a believer.

Also, the M101A2 has wheels that, I believe, have the same bolt pattern as your CUCV, but you might need to check that point.

Arlyn

pnishr

The M101A2 wheels are the same as the pickup-based CUCVs, but not the M1009. The M1009 is 6 lug, the rest are 8 lug.
Beat me to it. You can pick up a set of adapters for <$200 bucks to put on the trailer, then you could use all the same wheels/tires (after a 4" lift to level out the trailer to the hitch) That's my plan. (until I swap to dana 60/14bolt)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For that reason I'd recommend having a spare wheel/tire for your M101A2 on board the trailer, so you don't get in a situation where you're towing a trailer with your M1009 and you get a flat on the trailer, the spare on the CUCV won't help you.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know it's been brought up in many, many thread but it can't hurt to say it again. My M101A1 trailer follows right along behind my M1009. Two things are very important...reading the book (sorry don't have page and paragraph) the M101 series trailers are not made to be towed behind the M1009. The M 416(?) trailer is the APPROVED trailer. There's at least one other trailer that the M1009 is approved to tow, just don't know what they are off the top of my head. The M101 series is 3/4 ton and is made for the M1008 and above CUCVs. Common sense and caution is mandatory if you want to tow the M101 behind the M1009. But then again, it's required for any time a trailer is following behind you.fat lady sings. :D:D:D

tankie88

Being this side of the big pond i tow a british army sankey trailer.The narrow track has drum brakes and over run brakes.The wide track has disc brakes but hydraulic over run brakes and a tailgate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks