• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I title with this?

clpo

I am running across a few private sellers that offer an SF-97 and a bill of sale instead of a title. Can I obtain a title in my home state (ID) with these documents? Is this something to stay away from?

SmokeyDod

In SC, If you are the buyer from GL & they send you SF97, you have to go to local DMV and get it titled in your name--then turn around and sign over your title to ever is going to buy it. In all my cases, I have the buyer sign a statement written by me "that he will not sell outside the US or to a non-US citizen. Just to cover my end.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
The bill of sale and SF-97 will only work if you have the exact same name and address of who bought it in the peoples republic of MD. Maryland , like most states want to see the buyer, with SF-97 and GL Bill of sale, in hand, and they use these to get the title. Then that title can get transferred to the next person. I could not skip the step even to a family member, son, if they were present at the MV More steps equal more money!!!! Also, the international title companies have tightened up of granting titles for vehicles. Some states have slack rules on trailers but there are less and less of them.

wiggall

Last year I did not even bother with the SF-97 I just stopped at a Port of Entry. Got the VIN check took the Port of Entry VIN Check the G L Bill on Sale to the DMV applied for the Title, and got my plats! in Idaho.

clpo

My DMV had no idea what SF-97 was, is, means and having never bought from the GL, I had not example to show them. After having gone through a title rodeo once before, I think I will just shy away from those kinds of deals.............

Thanks for the input though, much appreciated.

OldGoat

Most states will not. Ky & Ohio will not for sure. I see adds on ebay constantly that say the sf97 will be issued in the buyers name. You can not change that on the form when you apply. If someone knows how I am all ears. Possibly a someone with a dealers license could reassign it ? My guess is you will be using a title service, $2-300 to get the paperwork to then take to your dmv & put it in your name if you buy it. As long as you get a smokin deal it's ok.

clpo

The way my luck runs lately, the only smokin part of the deal would be when my fingers got burned.............

waayfast

Hey! I'm just about smack in the middle between you two!Close to 140miles north to Lenore and a bit more South to Twin from here in McCall, ID. Sorry I cant offer advice on the SF-97 situation--my gasser was from a local fire dept and already had a "normal" title. Sounds like yer local DMV office may need to get learned in the process of the '97 thing-that would be their job!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks