• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can I turn an M35 into a family hauling, 5th wheel camper towing rig for under $12K?

furmdog

Here's the deal. I have a 15,000 lb 5th wheel camper, a wife and 5 kids. I own a 2009 F350 that I drive everywhere just so I can pull a 5th wheel on camping trips about 6-7 times a year. Would it be possible to take an M35 or something similar, and add a 5th wheel hitch as well as an extended, enclosed (safe) cab that will hold my whole crew (me, the wife and a kid in the front seat and 4 more kids behind)? Is the bed long enough to tow a fifth wheel and have an additional cab (I would think the additional cab would need to be about 4 feet and I would just put in a 4 seater bench)? Is the bed of the M35 or like vehicle too high to pull a 5th wheel camper? I have a budget of about $12,000 but I would love to get it done for under $10K. If I could pull this off I could sell the f350 and get a more reasonable commuter car and then have the M35 around to pull the 5th wheel. I am excited to know what you all think!

6x6TRex

Is the bed long enough to tow a fifth wheel and have an additional cab? Is the bed of the M35 or like vehicle too high to pull a 5th wheel camper?
The bed is 12' long so plenty of room there, but you do realize the bed is ~4' off the ground so unless you plan on lifting the fifth wheel I don't see it working.

I've had the "5th wheel" question in my mind for a while too. The biggest question is does the kingpin on your trailer sit high enough? Is it adjustable? You may end up cutting open the floor of the bed and setting the 5th wheel plate down into the bed, just below level with the deck, then use the piece of the deck you cut out on a hinge and some re-enforcement, could be a cover hatch for the plate. BRB,...... OK, back now. I just went out to my deuce and measured the rear deck height parked on flat (sorta) asphalt at 51". Also consider my deck height might be a hair shorter than most out there because I still have my M105 sitting upside-down in the bed of my deuce. When ya get the chance, stroll out to your trailer and measure the height of the kingpin. Then you shall truly know, Young Grasshopper. :mrgreen:

plym49

I guess the other question is whether it has to be a fifth wheel camper. Maybe sell your F350 and the trailer. Put a camper back on the Deuce (could solve the cab extension problem if you semi-permanently install the camper shell) and get yourself another trailer to haul behind by the pintle hitch, or with a receiver mounted a bit lower - maybe even another camper back on an M105 trailer. Just thinking out loud here. If you can sell your existing trailer for a decent price, this might end up being the least expensive option.

preyn2

If you've got a $10-12K budget, why don't you just save yourself a bunch of headache converting/building a deuce and just buy a used car for commuting? Keep the F-350 for the trailer and use the money you would have used for the deuce on a used commuter car.

Just a thought.

If you've got a $10-12K budget, why don't you just save yourself a bunch of headache converting/building a deuce and just buy a used car for commuting? Keep the F-350 for the trailer and use the money you would have used for the deuce on a used commuter car.

Just a thought.
Now what fun would that be? There'd be no green iron involved whatsoever! OMG, that reminds me of Niagra Falls,.....NIAGRA FALLS!!!!! Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch,......:cookoo:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you don't mind going slow it is possible to graft a civy crew cab into a deuce frame....think crew cab Internationals and such.......quieter ride, more comfort but still a toad in the road when traveling the interstates.

There is a SS member that did a custom job on his deuce so he could haul a 5th wheel camper....he brought it to one of the GA Rallys. It was very professional looking.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great ideas ^^, one not mentioned was that you could turn the axles on the 5th wheel trailer to raise its height. See that a lot around here.

As for your budget, no I don't think it is feasible. Twice that number is more realistic, even if you do all the work yourself.

furmdog

Now what fun would that be? There'd be no green iron involved whatsoever! OMG, that reminds me of Niagra Falls,.....NIAGRA FALLS!!!!! Slowly I turned, step by step, inch by inch,......:cookoo:
Took the words right out of my mouth. That is a big part if it, is it would be cool. The other part is, my $10-$12K budget is coming from selling my F350 for about $26K and from that I will have to get my little commuter car and something to haul the 5th wheel that can fit 7 people. Would have been just fine if ol' child number 5, or as we like to call him, oops wouldn't have come along, then we could just get an old truck for hauling and call it good. So now I have to think outside the box a bit and I was hoping (much to my wifes dismay) that I could make something like this work.

furmdog

What about a 6 door with room left over for the 5th wheel? Now that would be interesting!

F650 Extreme Build it Page
Sorry, I am really new to all this. Is a 6 door something similar to a M35? I am assuming, if it has 6 doors the whole fam would fit in it, could it be fitted with a 5th wheel hitch? Could it tow 15K lbs? I'm intrigued.

The answer My Friend, is quite simple. Buy another cab, and an M105 trailer, then graft up a crew-cab bobbed deuce. It can be done quite easily by welding the 2 cabs together and adding some sheet metal to the roof. then position the M105 bed behind the cab and center the axle on leaf springs below the wheel arches on the bed. C&C Equipment builds these excuisite trucks like brand new and for the price, it's fair, but if you don't have the $60,000 cash just lying around, you can build something close if you have the basic skills.
:driver:

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MVs do not travel at highway speeds. Towing a camper and hauling your family in it would not be a safe idea.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks