• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can M35A3's runaway?

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New A3 Deuce Owner here. And after reading this thread :shock: and all the stories, I got to ask some questions:

On the M35A3 Cat, if a run-away/engine over-speed condition occurs:

First
: Can it be stopped if it is caused by the introduction of an external fuel source (i.e. oil from turbo, gas vapors, etc)?

Second
: If the answer to above question is "Yes". What is the quickest way to stop the engine, if the over-speed is caused by an external fuel source? Cutting of the air supply, by placing a solid object (like plywood) over the air intake?

Third:
Would a person have enough time to do this before major engine damage occurs?
I'm guessing this question would depend upon the factors of what kind of fuel and how much fuel is being introduced.

Thanks

Last edited:

Eliteweapons

I had an idea that may work. Get a good heavy shower cap that you can toss over the mushroom cap? Would be quick and easy as long as it didn't rip right apart. I have a heavy canvas bag that fits over mine. I may have to test them to make see if it shuts it down or atleast slows it down.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for illustration purposes:

Air intake volume = displacement * RPM. So, for a multi accelerating past governed speed to 3000 rpm it would be
0.275 cu ft * 3000 = 825 cu ft of air per minute or almost 14 cu ft per second. For my metric friends, that is over 23000 l/min or almost 400 l/s.

That is a lot of air. You need a good shower cap for that!

In practice, a piece of 2x6, plywood, a thick old style phone book and the like are needed do effectively close the intake. It is not only the volume...the engine at this rpm has incredible momentum and, even when combustion ceases, will continue to spin and suck air, even creating a vacuum in the intake. Whatever you use to cover the intake hasd to be able to withstand that.

Hint: Don't use your hands!

I second the use of a CO2 (NOT A DRY CHEM) fire extinguisher as probably the safest and most effective way to shut down a runaway.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen both used, the dry chem and Co2. Co2 does the job well, the extinguisher will be empty by the time things stop. The dry chem ruins the internals and the engine will need rebuilding. When i worked for International, the old guys kept a 2x6 with rubber attached to it on their boxes. My dad uncle and grandfather always had a pair of vice grips on the rack on the DD 2 strokes after an overhaul or rack set just in case it would take off. AFAIK, none ever had a runaway after maintenance

snowtrac nome

The heavy wood is my preferred oh sh!t tool, had a Detroit 6v53 eat through half the manual once. which why I don't put much stock in the theory a try chem extinguisher will plug an air filter.

rustystud

Whatever you do don't stuff your coveralls down the hole ! One of the mechanics at IHC in Tukwilla WA. did that. It ate the coveralls and still kept running ! After the rebuild (yes it needed a complete overhaul after that) there was pieces of coverall all inside that engine.

winfred

we had a hotshot kid out of "isuzu school" show up at our gmc dealer who was gonna show us old farts (me and the only other diesel tech) how to work on them duramaxes! not sure what they taught him but it wasn't how to work on the fuel and emissions systems of a 6.6, the pinnacle of his ineptness was to grab a random antifreeze jug off a table hoping for water to rinse a spill off the air box (while it was running) and got brake cleaner instead, i was close enough to hear it probably hit 7 grand, at first i though someone was doing a burnout but once i heard it clattering to a stop i realized what it was and got out from under my dash for a look. it hung together but never ran again, nothing quite straight and everything scored. parts manager loved him as that was a $17k ticket

rustystud

we had a hotshot kid out of "isuzu school" show up at our gmc dealer who was gonna show us old farts (me and the only other diesel tech) how to work on them duramaxes! not sure what they taught him but it wasn't how to work on the fuel and emissions systems of a 6.6, the pinnacle of his ineptness was to grab a random antifreeze jug off a table hoping for water to rinse a spill off the air box (while it was running) and got brake cleaner instead, i was close enough to hear it probably hit 7 grand, at first i though someone was doing a burnout but once i heard it clattering to a stop i realized what it was and got out from under my dash for a look. it hung together but never ran again, nothing quite straight and everything scored. parts manager loved him as that was a $17k ticket
Don't you just love those young pups just out of school who have "all the answers" ! Just ask them ! They do have all the answers, just the wrong ones !
I still remember getting out of trade school and starting my apprenticeship training. The old mechanic I was first assigned too told me he didn't want to hear any "Bullsh#t" about how the school said to do things. He would tell me how to do something and I better do it his way or I would be looking for work again ! Later on when I actually knew how to do something I could do it my way.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I don't know about the M35A3 CAT engine air intake, different than the M35A2 multifuel?
............... but Refer to post #46
Did you ever wonder why the multifuel air intake mushroom rock filter cap is shaped like that? Don't leave it cinched on tight, so it can be grabbed off and turned around. A piece of 3/16" sheet rubber and the inverted mushroom will seal it off, can't run without air.
The original designed air hose to compressor [item 6] from back of air cleaner should always be in place.
air intake hose to compressor.jpg

Last edited:

snowtrac nome

the 3116 can also suffer a run away if the rack isn't adjusted properly just like a Detroit so don't mess with rack adjustments unless you have the tool kit

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Little off course but I had my John Deere 450C rev through the roof when I accidentally hit a poly line filled will Sour gas off an oil well. Scared the S#$T out of me but the machine drove out of it before any damage. Never thought my little machine could go that fast.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks