• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

can mount rack for motorcycle in front? (M1078)

coachgeo

Mentally contemplating where to put motorcycle rack (size of KLR650) on my truck with an ambo box mounted on rear

the conflicts with typical rear mount-

. Rear of my box has two great doors. (It was an ambulance) If I can keep one clear at least..... that gives me a secondary exit from inside.... something I value a lot

The conflict with front mount.

. clearance loss
. front is already biased heavy
. have to remove to tilt cab
. too much conflict with air flow to radiator??
. Probably little more engineering/design would have to go into it to fit it to the front.

Anyone got constructive ideas/thoughts to add?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Mentally contemplating where to put motorcycle rack (size of KLR650) on my truck with an ambo box mounted on rear

the conflicts with typical rear mount-

. Rear of my box has two great doors. (It was an ambulance) If I can keep one clear at least..... that gives me a secondary exit from inside.... something I value a lot

The conflict with front mount.

. clearance loss
. front is already biased heavy
. have to remove to tilt cab
. too much conflict with air flow to radiator??
. Probably little more engineering/design would have to go into it to fit it to the front.

Anyone got constructive ideas/thoughts to add?
You would simply need to make a lifting bar for the front. It is a pole that would hook thru your tow hook mounting holes that a set of forks or other mounting device for your your bike. Something simple that could have the bike removed in a minute or two if you needed to raise the cab. You could mount a small electric winch to pull it into place right there on center bumper.

Pictured is such bar on a 923

Or what about adding a LMTV spare tire carrier to the front and just modify it to be wider to hold your bike across the front. The basket folds down so you would have a ramp for the bike to climb up and it would fold down for the hood to tilt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

coachgeo

Pic added for archiving

You would simply need to make a lifting bar for the front. It is a pole that would hook thru your tow hook mounting holes that a set of forks or other mounting device for your your bike. Something simple that could have the bike removed in a minute or two if you needed to raise the cab. You could mount a small electric winch to pull it into place right there on center bumper.

Pictured is such bar on a 923dae4aabbb4e69d42724c4ce64f46fd8f.jpg

Or what about adding a LMTV spare tire carrier to the front and just modify it to be wider to hold your bike across the front. The basket folds down so you would have a ramp for the bike to climb up and it would fold down for the hood to tilt.

coachgeo

Or what about adding a LMTV spare tire carrier to the front ...
good point that the spare tire career is probably strong enough to lift bike. Thanks for more ideas. Can you re word the lifting bar description... you lost me.

Last edited:

Crapgame

War Pigs carried extra MFC full of fuel, Stinger Missiles, etc on a front bumper mounted rack, around the Western Iraq Desert, airflow around a KLR is probably much better

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
good point that the spare tire career is probably strong enough to lift bike. Thanks for more ideas. Can you re word the lifting bar description... you lost me.

The lifting bar slides thru the pin holes on the tow hooks. This would slide thru the eyes on the upper part of a set of forks. Basically think of it as a snow plow attachment using a winch to raise it over hydraulics. Basically mount your bike onto a set of forks or other mounting device. Mount a electric winch to the front bumper area. Pull up to the mount unit holding your bike Hook the winch onto the mounting system and raise it up. The lifting bar then goes thru the tow hook pin holes and holds the whole system up. Winch still attached. Unpin it and let it down with the winch and unhook your bike from the frame system you made.

Spare tire system would be best. I would fashion it to a tow hitch receiver and just mount you a class III hitch under the front some where for easy removal.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Get a bike carrier from harbor freight when they are on sale. They come ready to go in a receiver hitch but are easily modified to slip over the shackle mount points, they also come with a short ramp to driver them up on the mount. (or at least on a CUCV)

It will fit the front ones also and that is a KLR650 mil version M1030b1

m103b1cucv.jpg

Last edited:

spankybear

If it was me I'd fab up something that attaches/pins to the shackle holes... maybe even use the shackle pins... something I could unpin and take off

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks