• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can MRAP wheels be mounted "deep dish" style without flipping hubs?

merlot566jka

Just curious. Bought a set of MRAP wheels and adaptors...I just wonder if you can mount them without flipping the hubs in the rear. I like the dishes look. I've never seen anyone do it that way before.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just curious. Bought a set of MRAP wheels and adaptors...I just wonder if you can mount them without flipping the hubs in the rear. I like the dishes look. I've never seen anyone do it that way before.​
You do not like to read much, do you?

Have you done a search about any of the aspects of your question??

Do you understand vehicle track???

merlot566jka

I have searched, found much useful information regarding the wheels, adaptors and vehicle dynamics.

I understand vehicle track. But don't care about it much. As implied by my post, I like the LOOK.
If it doesn't harm the truck, and doesn't make it unsafe to drive, I would like the look of the wheels with the dish out.

Blendmaster2002

Track width is not increased with MRAP Steel wheels, offsets vary slightly (around a 1/2") between the aluminum's. With stock rims and Non Directional 9.00R20 rear track width was 93.5" to tire sidewalls, with MRAP wheels and 395/85R20 the rear rack width is 93" to sidewalls. Front and rear adapters are mounted to the deep dish side of the rim. Pics on my M36A2.

Attachments

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully you are aware that running "super-singles" that way puts undo cantilever load on the hub bearings. Your first sign of failure will be leakage from the inside seals. Second sign ... Well, lets not go there!

"Doing it right" is SOOOOOOOOO much easier on military vehicles! Why not flip the hubs and play it safe????

Last edited:

skinnyR1

Hopefully you are aware that running "super-singles" that way puts undough cantilever load on the hub bearings. Your first sign of failure will be leakage from the inside seals. Second sign ... Well, lets not go there!

"Doing it right" is SOOOOOOOOO much easier on military vehicles! Why not flip the hubs and play it safe????
Speaking from experience? Any evidence to back up this claim?

Axle seals are such a common failure point that I dont know how you can possibly relate the two here.

Joaquin Suave

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Speaking from experience? Any evidence to back up this claim?
Blowing out seals? Yes. Axle damage... No, thank god! It does not take a rocket scientist to understand that cantilevering the load outward of the bearings is not a good thing.

Here is my experience with it (notice the rear wheels are the same offset as the front on biased outward)... and i am running super singles on a far heavier duty rear axle than a Rockwell top-loader. i am trying my best to solve this problem by building a hybrid rear axle that offsets the wheels inward. Not an easy task, flipping your hubs is FAR easier!

casa_hammock.jpg

Last edited:

TsgtB

I would like to learn more about this, I have been reading for months to keep from sounding uneducated on the deuce.
Under max load configuration, I could see the possibility of it being more of a problem.
But for running unloaded 90% of the time....

Some make it sound like its the equivalent of running "dish out" on the fronts.... (sounds really dumb, but still)
Yet on a farm tractor, people push the rears out on the shaft, dish out, all the time... (apples and oranges I know)
And the larger MRAP vehicles mount dish out rears....

I'm only looking to learn... thanks for your time.

Heath_h49008

People have been running dish out 395s on these trucks for YEARS. (Many with stock rims as well.)

If one were to run fully loaded it might pose an issue over time. But, these trucks are primarily toys, especially for those of us who choose to run 395s, and that means few loads, and infrequent use.

YMMV

peashooter

Hopefully you are aware that running "super-singles" that way puts undo cantilever load on the hub bearings. Your first sign of failure will be leakage from the inside seals. Second sign ... Well, lets not go there!

I personally think its perfectly safe to run them dish out w/ unflipped hubs the way Blendmaster has. In fact It might even be the better way to do it as far as bearings are concerned. The way he is doing it has the load mainly over the larger inner bearing, when we flip our hubs and have the wheel's dish facing inward, then we have the load mainly over the smaller outer most bearing.

Last edited:

Blendmaster2002

I have been thinking of flipping the hubs in the rear for aesthetics and so the adapter bolted to the spare has the lug tappers ready to go for front or rear. as far as bearing stress its not to bad at all when you look at where the load is carried on the hub flipped or un-flipped with the offset of the MRAP rims and where the adapter plate is bolted. To simplify this there is a much wider tire bolted dish out and still slightly less track width, meaning much more tire inward than simply running stock rims dished out with no inner wheel and or with larger tires.

happyfisherman

This post has just what I was needing to hear!! Thank you all!! I am also planning on mounting MRAPs with adapter plates dish out on the rear without flipping my hubs. I think it looks better personally. Can anyone tell me if there is anything different that needs to be done with the lug nuts or studs when mounting MRAPs on the rear dish out on a deuce? Can I just pull both of my old stock duals off and throw the MRAP(with adapter plate) dish out directly on the hub or will any modifications be required like different studs or spacers or anything like that

peashooter

This post has just what I was needing to hear!! Thank you all!! I am also planning on mounting MRAPs with adapter plates dish out on the rear without flipping my hubs. I think it looks better personally. Can anyone tell me if there is anything different that needs to be done with the lug nuts or studs when mounting MRAPs on the rear dish out on a deuce? Can I just pull both of my old stock duals off and throw the MRAP(with adapter plate) dish out directly on the hub or will any modifications be required like different studs or spacers or anything like that
You can just bolt them directly on the hub with no additional modifications or spacers. There might be some aluminum mrap rims out there that are so thick you may have some clearance issue with the bolt heads touching the brake drum but I think most all (if not all) will fit without any issue. If you are interested in any of the adapters I offer, an extra 10 bucks each gets both sides of the adapter plate's lug holes chamfered to make tire rotation much easier and allows mounting either way without having to flip the adapter

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks