• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can my MEP 803A be connected this way?

khestee

I have a MEP 803A, which is operating nicely. When I built my house I had a transfer switch installed at the panel and a 30 Amp plug connected to it on the outside. Question is, can I connect a 30 amp plug that is on a 10/4 wired cord to this plug. If so how is it properly connected at the gen? See my pics. I know I need to take the male end off, just wondering which wires go where. Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

plug.JPG panel.jpg cord.JPG posts.JPG gen.jpg

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
To connect that cord you will need to put a 30a breaker between the generator and the cord. It will be a code violation and a safety risk to directly connect the generator to an undersized cable.

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

Black to L1, Red to L2, White to L0, Green to Ground. Thanks for doing the connections to your panel correctly with the breaker interlock. Your electrical connection switch needs to be set at 120/240, Single Phase, 3 Wire. Chris is right, you should have set-up for a 50 amp circuit and not 30, can it be changed?

Last edited:

khestee

Thanks for the quick info. I believe my electrician can change the set up. If I'm not mistaken I had him use 8 wire for the run from plug to panel. I'll get that done before I hook up and get a 50 amp plug. Thanks again.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
#8 is good for 40a. For 50a you will need #6 copper.

Your electrcian should know the right stuff to use.