• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can PTO cause Transmission to STOP shifting?

s4mm4n16

Long story short, my transmission was working correctly before installing the PTO and necessary parts.

The PTO is new and I checked it over for any reason to malfunction prior to installing it.

Once installed, the transmission would not shift correctly. I barely made it back into my driveway, I was able to get it to go in reverse.

I changed top-covers/shifters and this did not help.

I removed the PTO and necessary components and the transmission is working OK.

Anyone ever heard of this, or know a good direction to look for the issue?

Many thanks!

tie6044

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's strange, I know the PTO has to be properly shimmed but I thought that only came into play when it is engaged, I didn't think it could possibly cause a problem unless it was engaged. I would have thought that the gear is far enough out of the way as to not interfere with the operation of the tranny no matter how badly shimmed it is. Sounds like that is the problem though.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's strange, I know the PTO has to be properly shimmed but I thought that only came into play when it is engaged, I didn't think it could possibly cause a problem unless it was engaged. I would have thought that the gear is far enough out of the way as to not interfere with the operation of the tranny no matter how badly shimmed it is. Sounds like that is the problem though.
No, the output gear on the trans and input gear on the PTO turn all the time, even if the PTO is disengaged. They are always meshed.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gasket part numbers
Victor H26205 / FelPro FPG 55379

military part #
328948-6x
Dana Chelsea​
260 series pto

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gaskets can be had at NAPA or any truck parts store. Hopefully you haven't torn anything up running it like this.

s4mm4n16

Thank again for all of the information. Just to clarify, I know I can find the gaskets, but do they make a rectangular shim for the WND-7-28?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You shim it with different thickness gaskets and if necessary, use multiple gaskets. On a side note, I looked at an M818 once that the shop mechanic put the PTO on with silicone. The truck was only used at low speed at a dump. Apparently after a few days of crawling around, the entire mounting boss on the tranny cracked and leaked out all the GO.

cbvet

When I was installing mine, I called George at White Owl. Here's what he advised, and it worked for me.
I'll add that George is a very helpful guy when I have questions, and he gets the parts out fast.

"Eric, "in my opinion" the adjustment of mounting the PTO is not as critical as some say. It does need to be close. The gaskets usually come in increments of .010 (ten thousandths). Normally 10 20 30 and then you get into spacers. We only use .020 gaskets and one of those is okay most of the time. You want to have some movement of the output shaft (rotate) when it is in gear but not so much you can hear it click. Basically, if it turns free without hearing a click when you rotate the output shaft back and forth, you are good to go. When you get it installed and run the PTO; if it rattles it is too loose and if it roars or rumbles it is too tight."

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's almost impossible to shim the PTO per the TM with the trans in the truck. There just isn't enough room between the PTO and the frame to use a dial indicator. I always just do them by feel.

Maxgussam

When I was installing mine, I called George at White Owl. Here's what he advised, and it worked for me.
I'll add that George is a very helpful guy when I have questions, and he gets the parts out fast.

"Eric, "in my opinion" the adjustment of mounting the PTO is not as critical as some say. It does need to be close. The gaskets usually come in increments of .010 (ten thousandths). Normally 10 20 30 and then you get into spacers. We only use .020 gaskets and one of those is okay most of the time. You want to have some movement of the output shaft (rotate) when it is in gear but not so much you can hear it click. Basically, if it turns free without hearing a click when you rotate the output shaft back and forth, you are good to go. When you get it installed and run the PTO; if it rattles it is too loose and if it roars or rumbles it is too tight."
Very good info!
Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks