• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone explain the difference in these HEMTT grills?

dma251

I have noticed that the PLS HEMTT has a much different grill design then the regular M977 M985 more common design. Can anyone tell me why that is?

It seems like either the PLS grill wouldn't let in very much airflow, or the normal HEMTT grill might be overkill for airflow needs. I don't know.

I know from crawling all over mine that there is an airflow opening on the top of the cab, and a huge open area under and inside the tunnel behind the grill. I can almost stand up inside the tunnel.

Reason I ask is also because my grill is a bit tweaked even after having it repaired, and it looks like it would be really easy to put together one like the PLS has. Not so easy to make a new normal grill with all the little square cutouts.

Attachments

acetomatoco

RE: Can someone explain the difference in these HEMTT grills

The 5 axle PLS versus the 4 axle HEMTT has a different cooling system for one thing as I have a brand new radiator which is PLS specific. New generation of trucks with modifications... You might ask OSHKOSH for their input...

M1075

RE: Can someone explain the difference in these HEMTT grills

That door on the front of the PLS is to access the hyudraulic pump. No airflow is required through the grill as the radiator is on top of the PLS, behind the cab. It has a hyrdaulic powered fan which brings the air in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks