• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone explain these brake canister bolts to me?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they need to be there and will kill you if you take them apart incorrectly.
They are your brakes and the parking brake.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bolt indicates that someone caged that brake can. For some reason. Need to uncage it (take the bolt out) and see if it is operating properly. With only one you will probably find that can has got a problem.

quickfarms

The bolts are called caging bolts.

There are two types of air cans

The single chamber, they have one retaining band and only apply the service brakes.

The air cans in the picture have two cambers. One chamber is for the service brakes. The second chamber is for the spring, parking or emergency, brakes and this chamber also has a big spring in it under a lot of pressure that is very dangerous if taken apart incorrectly. The caging bolts are used to manually release the spring brakes. There are several reasons this may be necessary, they range from towing to a problem with the brakes.

The truck should not be driven with the caging bolts in place. It is an out of service condition.

I would suggest that you go to school to learn about this stuff before it bites you.

dawico

Brake canisters, one has bolt, the other side doesnt. What is their purpose and do they need to be there?

View attachment 561886
The brake on the left is normal. The brake on the right is caged. This means the brake is rendered inoperable, either for towing (with no air supply) or to take it apart and service it.

There is probably a reason why it is caged and should be checked out immediately. The spring inside there is very dangerous and the caging bolt hold it tight so the brake canister can be serviced safely.

This is a very dangerous part of the system to work on. Since you seem unfamiliar with it, professional help is advised. At the minimum, lots of research about the operation and dangers is required for your safety before you attempt to mess with it.

So yeah, what these guys said.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The brake on the left is normal. The brake on the right is caged. This means the brake is rendered inoperable, either for towing (with no air supply) or to take it apart and service it.
Caging the spring brake renders the spring brake inoperable, but the service brake still functions.

daschae

Ok, thanks for the info everyone. It lead me to the right answer. I just bought 2 5 tons in Barstow and was noticing this. I am very mechanically inclined, but not familiar with brake canisters, as I have never ventured there, I pay to have brake work done. So it makes sense they are caged, for towing, since they were at Barstow for auction. I will leave them that way until I get the trucks home. Towing 1 with the other. Do the 5 tons have air couplers on the front to keep supplied while towing? Ive never looked closely before.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

daschae

Printed out the TM, thanks! Ill leave the brake work to the guy who does the brake work on my Prevost, he's cheap enough and knows what he's doing!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While towing one truck with the other THERE IS NO REASON TO CAGE THE BRAKES!

Hook up service brake air, and emergency brake air, AND LEAVE THE BRAKES UNCAGED. This way if something goes wrong, you still have your spring brakes applied . Otherwise if something goes wrong the towed vehicle has no brakes.

I'm in Tucson, not far from you. I have the appropriate air lines and the appropriate towbars and safety chains for your upcoming recovery. Come by and I'll demonstrate the safe way to set up to flat tow one 5ton with another, no charge....

daschae

I appreciate the offer! Ive got a fella up here named Bill in Mesa that buys and tows these things all the time, Im going by to see him and borrow his bar, chains, air lines, and lights in about an hour.

While towing one truck with the other THERE IS NO REASON TO CAGE THE BRAKES!

Hook up service brake air, and emergency brake air, AND LEAVE THE BRAKES UNCAGED. This way if something goes wrong, you still have your spring brakes applied . Otherwise if something goes wrong the towed vehicle has no brakes.

I'm in Tucson, not far from you. I have the appropriate air lines and the appropriate towbars and safety chains for your upcoming recovery. Come by and I'll demonstrate the safe way to set up to flat tow one 5ton with another, no charge....

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will leave them that way until I get the trucks home. Towing 1 with the other.
Don't do it that way, seriously. Take that cage bolt out. See why it was in there in the first place. If your brakes are funtional, tow it with the service brakes live and the emergency spring brakes enabled. You're playing with tremendous forces here; there's no good reason to disable a safety mechanism. The life you save may be your own.

daschae

The site keeps telling me in not logged in every time I try to post a reply....

He's got the socket to take those off, I will remove them and see if the brakes function properly. Do these 5 tons have the hand controller for the trailer air supply like a regular over the road tractor? So can you apply the brakes to the vehicle in tow from the tow vehicle?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you supply air to the emergency circuit, it is very likely that the cage bolt will wiggle out anyway - the 120 psi is likely to compress the springs more than the cage bolt, allowing the cage bolt to rattle out.

I won't tell you to go to school to learn this stuff, but you really really need to have a thorough understanding of how the airbrake system works before you drive one of these things, let alone flat tow one with another. You need to understand it well enough to intuitively know what will happen next in a failure, and the possible modes of failure.

PM sent with some info that the site doesn't like discussed...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks