• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone help identify this for me?

85 GT Kid

Ok so this is getting relayed to me from 3 other people so bear with me but could someone help me please? The guy that owns this says that its a "1953 miltary jeep" :roll:. Now he told this to his friend, who told it to my dad who then told it to me so I have not talked to the guy but I do have some pics. I know the headlights and marker lights are wrong but those can be changed but that's all I know on these. Can anyone else tell? Thanks for the help!

EDIT: Of course I notixe this AFTER but I see "Jeep" on the tub and now looking at other pics theres no hole that they have :evil:.

Last edited:

tstone

Looks like an early CJ5. It has the cut out for the snorkel on the hood, no BO markers, no mil dash components, fuel cap and cut out are CJ style. It may have been purchased by the military as some CJ's were but it is not an M series jeep. Check the serial # and post it when you have time. Nice vehicle either way!

85 GT Kid

Yea it's so obvious now sorry for the waste of time guys :(. Looks like it's in good shape for it's age but I have no use for a civi jeep. I still have my 85 GT DD to get running, my 85 Capri RS painted and gone through and my 73 Mach 1 "restored" :cookoo:

Dodge man

Non-recessed head lights, no slave cable port, small gas cap and glove box on RH side all give it away as a CJ. But it looks like it's in very good condition for it's age and definitely NOT a waste of time. It even has the original wheels! If it's cheap you should grab it and clean it up a bit and re-sell it or use it as a trade against a MIL Jeep. But lose that tacky roll bar! I cringe to say this but with the poor condition of most old Jeeps, you could even use the body and parts from this one to rebuild a MIL Jeep of the same era. Unless the price is sky high, I'd be all over this one for a lot of different reasons.

PS: IF it has a title then that alone is worth GOOD money! If no title then it only worth parts price IMO but this one appears to have a LOT of GOOD parts! For example, a replacement body run over $4000 with shipping and ALL of them need a LOT of work to correct them and even then a Jeep with an after market body is still worth less then one with an original body (even a repaired one) so if this body is as good as it looks then it's worth a lot IMO.

Last edited:

85 GT Kid

I'm actually gonna go look at it and if it's as good as the pics then i'm gonna bring it home, clean it up, see if she'll run and sell her. I'd like to keep it as the parts would be good for whenever I get a M series but I have 3 projects ahead of it and I could use the money as I have to pay off a surgery I just had and the profit could take a good chunk off the bill :D

steelypip

Just because it's a CJ and not an M38 doesn't mean that it's not valuable in its own right. It looks like it is in awfully good shape, and is a really good restoration candidate as a CJ.

85 GT Kid

I never said it wasn't valuable i'm just not a Jeep guy. If I had the money (and if it's as nice as it looks) then yes i'd maybe do something with it but I don't. Now if it was a M38 then i'd find the money cause I like military vehicles but it's not. Better to flip it to get some money for the bills and sell it to someone that will do something with it. Now don't get me wrong i'm not gonna ask $6K or some stupid number so I can make a huge amount of money when it sells both the buyer and I will be going home happy knowing we got a good deal.