• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can someone help me install a "newer" voltage regulator to my genset...

scootertrs

I feel like I am delving into secret passages that only those so licensed and permitted should dare... I have a Diesel genset that is working fine, it is a 15 KW unit, engine runs well and if exiter winding is juiced with 24 volts, we have 246 volts out both phase 1 and phse 2. pretty good... or os my ignorant mind thinks... now my voltage regulator is not working. it is corroded and looks like pure s#@$T . It is a brushed gen head with 12 wires coming from it and 2 exiter wires toing to the brushes... what the heck do I need to do to get this 200+ hour genset head working (My helpful generator supplier says I need a new head (at over $1700) I toldl him to skip the vaseline... just beck into my fence post... -:) I can do that, but I know that the gen head in my genset is far better than any he can peddle and it works.

If I juice it w 24 V at the exiter coils, I get 246V and it powers lights and other things... like my hair, etc.... 60HZ is right on the money.... I am just lost with the details involving a retrofit of a late model voltage regulator.

I don' want anything for free. I will pay good US dollars, I will barter, trade ammo, etc. I am just looking for someone that does not have a pipe directly connected to my exit hole (if you know what I mean)

I know I will be paying for education, and school is not cheap, but I want to feel like I am not being goosed.

Last edited by a moderator:

quickfarms

Without details such as the generator and head make, model and year we can only talk about the theoretical. You state the unit is a 15 KW unit with only 200 hours but is corroded. Based on this information there may be a lot of corrosion in the windings that could be why your tech wants to replace the head.

Is this a marine unit?

Post some information and photos.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Delks might sell you the update kit that gets rid of all that crap.
Not sure.
I do know that if I took it to them 1800 bucks later it would be updated

scootertrs

Delks might sell you the update kit that gets rid of all that crap.
Not sure.
I do know that if I took it to them 1800 bucks later it would be updated
Wow... $3600.00 that is $1800.00 I don't have and $1800.00 that they would charge... wow... that is pricey... I need a cheaper solution... maybe my wife on a stationary bike witha belt driven Genset... -:) Even running straight 24V would not be too bad... 246 V would be within 20% of the 240V (or close... )

Isaac-1

Call Power-Tronics, they build a number of universal retrofit AVR's, and there is a good chance they have dealt with the same model you have in the past and know which one would work best.

rustystud

I wonder if the retrofit that "Craig A Tull" did "civilizing the MEP-002A" would work for you. In his post he got rid of everything and installed a modern and cheap AVR (automatic voltage regulator) . I was thinking of doing the same thing someday. I would link to his post but I don't know how to do that. I'm that older generation still holding on to my abacus !

Isaac-1

Rusty, I don't recall what exactly Craig did, but the MEP-002a is a brushless design and the OP here seems to have a brush style exciter so it is doubtful the same AVR would work.

scootertrs

Guys, spoke with Erick at Power-Tronics in Texas... great, knowledg3eable and helpful guy. Had me do a couple of ohm meter tests and set me up with all needed. Thank you Issac-1

Call Power-Tronics, they build a number of universal retrofit AVR's, and there is a good chance they have dealt with the same model you have in the past and know which one would work best.

scootertrs

1 XR500D UNIVERSAL VOLTAGE REGULATOR
1 SE350 STATIC EXCITER MODULE
1 AFM500X AUTO FLASH MODULE

you may need all of the above or just some, but I would call him for details 830-895-4700

scootertrs

Know what is funny... just took a look at my 45KW Onan genset at work w a JD 6 cylyinder motor w water pump problems... and guess what... identically the same pump (except 6 cylinder instead of 4) and mounts horizontally, not vertically... who would have thunk???

I have a theory... all diseases are catching... maybe my Hercules gave my JD a cold... after all Hercules is.... well... Hercules!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks