• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can stickies be put at bottom of page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richingalveston

it would be nice if you did not have to scroll past all of the locked threads (the stickies) to get to the latest post. everytime the browser refreshes, you have to scroll down past a bunch of locked threads to get to the latest posts.

it would make things easier.
thank you

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Have you looked up the definition of "stickies"? It is a thread at the top of a forum. This is often done for special announcements, rules / guidelines, and FAQs.

richingalveston

I posted this in the site suggestions and improvements section because I thought it would make the site more usable and keep people from wearing out their scroll wheel.
I did not realize it was the websters dictionary forum.

I can understand having one or two stickies at the top of the page for special announcements but when you have to scroll past the first half of the page to get to the forum it becomes tiresome.
Most of the info is actually a FAQ and thus this could be put at the bottom as a footnote instead.

I did check on that definition and it is: a note of reference, explanation, or comment usually placed below the text on a printed page. Most of this info in the stickies is only new to the newbies and thus to most of us it is is a foot note and not a sticky.

I was not trying to start anything by asking the question, but as I look at all of the stickies, none of them contain special announcements or rules and guidlines just frequently asked questions and technical information. Yes, all of it is useful and everyone should read the ones that pertain to their vehicle but should everyone be forced to scroll past them every time.

You can call it what you ever you want even make up a name for it, but it would make the site more user friendly to the majority of the site users if this stuff was at the bottom.

If you wish to call it a sticky and keep it at the top, I do not care. But if you were true to your definition, then you would perge half of the crap in each sticky and make it just the usefull info only at this time most of the post in the stickies are useless reading.

Thank you for your time, I will no longer make any suggestions in this section because by the answer you gave, you are obiously not intersted in improvements.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As I am not in charge of the website, maybe you might want to wait till someone else answers. Personally, I don't go to any one "forum", I use the "new posts" button, so I only see new info. Then, if I need some info, I search for it, and again, only info I searched for pops up(with in reason). The new site is not great imho, but it is what we have to work with. I have had to change my browsing habits, maybe you might try that too.

richingalveston

I like the new site also, it is easier for me to read. I will see what I can do on my side to change my browsing. I however mainly live in the CUCV section because that is what I have and can afford to work on and MOD the way it fits me. I would love one of the big rigs or something unique and every once in a while I look through the other forums but If I use the new post info, I feel flooded with info that does not fit what I am here for.

Please do not take my last post as a negative towards your comments, I am not trying to bait anyone into an argument. I however thought that I could use your post to prove my point about the stickies.
In order for them to be really useful, they need to be cleaned up. Since you cannot post in them and once they have been read once they become a problem instead of a help. I think it would be just as easy to tell someone to check the footnotes instead of the stickies. And yes if there is a special announcement definately put it at the top.

If you really wanted to break in the newbies, then we should have them pick their vehicle of choice at sign up and make them read the stickies for that vehicle along with the forum rules prior to being able to post anything. This would be nice for those of us who already know our vehicle fairly well but unfortunatly I understand this is not practicle and would actually hurt the SS site from growing.
My appologies to you and anyone that possibly took my last post negatively. What I like most about this site is everyones eagerness to help each other. I appreciate the rigid rules of conduct and I always try to put my best effort into the post I make.

Thank you,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you want them at the bottom, just rotate your monitor upside-down.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prepare for distribution of forthcoming humor! " Perhaps the stickies should have their own forum" Humor distribution complete!

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think it's pretty clear why the stickies are where they are. No need to bash the OP about it. *click*

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks