• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can the diagnostic circuit be removed?

HillBilly

I was wondering, if I could simplify things by removing the circuit used by the STE/ICE-R?
Or would I be causing more problems than its worth? Whats your thoughts? Has any one done this?

Thank you!
HB

Attachments

jaytee

I have been contemplating the same thing. I have been looking at the wiring off and on and I don't think it will be an issue. It looks like the wires go out to different places to act as like probes for reading voltage inputs, and not as essential parts of circuits. Just my two cents. If you look at it and reach a different conclusion let me know.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is to gain by this move? If you don't want to see it, bolt it behind the dash.

dependable

I'm not sure there is anything to be gained by screwing with the harness. I have never used the STE/ICE circuit, but it has never bothered me either. In my experiance , messing with the wireing harness on any vehicle is not good unless you need to for some reason. Let sleeping dogs lie and all that rot...

HillBilly

My problem is cosmetic, don't mind it being there. Its the fact that there are a dozen white thhn 12 awg wires that are confusing the hell outta me. I know that some are for the governor controlling the pto gen. In regards to the other ones im guessing REDO for a screwup! Looks like I gotta start from scratch and am tryin to save a few steps is all.

Thx for the wisdom!
HB

ssgtwright-usmc

Someone here said it best (If its not broken then dont fix it).
Id be too afraid of messing with it since it does tap into everything else one way or another.
Id just take the suggestion and hide it behind the dash.
This way, if you ever plan on selling it at least its their for the next buyer.
As for the STU/ICE unit, it plugs into more location then just that one connector inside the dash.
To tell the truth, as long as I was in the Marine Corps I always thought that connecter on the Dash was for radio equipment to plug into.
I was going to take mine out until I realized that its a diagonositic connector and not for a radio connector.
Old saying, just because it walks like a duck doesnt make it a duck!
Id just leave it alone if its not giving you no problems!!!!!

flippydidit

I agree with the guys about not removing something unless it's broken. I have a different problem but will end up with the same outcome. The guy I bought my truck from took it to a regular mechanic that didn't understand 12/24 volt systems. They hooked up the 12 volt lead to the 24 volt post and sent 24 volts to the 12 volt system (fuse block, headlights, side markers, horn, everything...). The fuse block is fried in three places, and since I was never happy with the quality or location of it in the first place, I'm going to have a custom one made. Then I'll get a custom wiring harness rigged up to match the original diagram (minus the non essentials). I think it will turn out better than throwing in an unknown take-off harness. I can let you know if the truck is affected when the STE/ICE wiring/plug is removed. Although I'm inclined to say that removing it is ok, since all the plug ends stay open until the system is hooked up for testing.

-Keep 'em shooting

Nate
Army Infantry 9 1/2 yrs. '97-'06
Gunsmith/Government Weapons Contractor
1985 M1008A1 (slightly modified)

jimm1009

The pins in the plug are not connected to anything if there is nothing plugged into the diagnostic plug.
If the pins are removed from the plug and stowed then it is the same as cutting the wires 3 inches back and stowing them too.
I cut my plug out 13 years ago, put heat shrink on each wire, seperatly, and then stowed the harness up behind the dash with some quality clamps.
You are not interrupting any circuits down near the plug if the wires are cut.
The only reason that I removed the plug was to add a speaker there for a VHF radio which is no longer installed.
Jim
PS: Just make sure there are not bare wires exposed to short out.

Crash_AF

If you want to test the theory, unplug the Diagnostic harness under the hood and start it up. It's the long plug on the wiring harness that runs through the firewall on the left side of the engine compartment (facing the engine) between the heater box and the resistor block.

Later,
Joe

KyCUCVs

It’s been my experience that anytime I unnecessarily mess with the electrics in these 20 year plus old trucks, it causes problems. Every wiring connection seems to be filled with dust from years of field use and living in gravel motor pools. Messing with one connection disturbs another down the harness and causes a bad connection. I’ve seen many a radio fixed in the field by simply removing the antenna from the matching unit (antenna base) and cleaning out the dust.