• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you burn this in the Deuce?

swampzr2

It is rust preventative we use in production so parts don't rust in transit. It gets tacky when it dries, but maybe just add some gasoline to cut it? Has anyone burned it in the deuce before? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the number of warnings on it, I'd say yes it can burn in a deuce. As long as it's not like paint or varnish, that has other stuff like pigments in the mix, which would do a number on the filters. If it's a petroleum based solvent, of a homogeneous nature, I'd say it's okay.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I would say NO because it is a coating, bet it will clog filters, lines, injectors, pump, ect., each time things are shut down, the coating will buildup. doubt the filters will last long, no matter how much cutback is added there will be COATING going though the system. To me, not worth the chance of MAJOR trouble, also what about the O-rings

Last edited:

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, okay, I'D burn it in MY deuce. Course, I'm not picky on what goes in the tank. I've peed in the tank after a good night drinking...

I do not take responsibility for you screwing up your truck with weird stuff.

Bottom line is: IF YOU HAVE TO ASK THE QUESTION "CAN I BURN THIS IN A DEUCE?", PERHAPS YOU SHOULD JUST BUY THE DIESEL AND BE DONE WITH IT.

swampzr2

Well I guess I should have worded it differently.... Will it cause problems burning it in a deuce. I burn WMO with out issues, and wasn't sure if this would gunk up the system sice it is a coating and gets kinda tacky. But frer oil and veggie oil get tacky and people don't have problems when they burn that?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The solvents are most likely not an issue. It's what is dissolved or suspended in the solvents that would bother me. I personally wouldn't touch it. It could end up being some expensive fuel.

wdbtchr

Just a thought, some of those rust preventer coating contain parafin or silicone. I would put some in a glass jar in the refrigerator and see if they drop out at low temperature.:roll:

Another thought,(slow thinker) try burning some in open container and see how much residue is left, ash or solids.

Last edited:

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I imagine this stuff will burn in the cylinders without any problem, however I'd be leery of the potential it may have for harm to the IP, injectors, o-rings and the like, not to mention the question of plugging up filters along the way. Being a rust preventer, this stuff is designed to both react with the metal it is applied to and also to leave a coating to protect it from oxidation (rusting).

littlebob

I wouldn't. I think the multifuel will burn almost anything in an emergency, but I would only put Diesel or bio in it.
From the description you gave, I would think it would probably clog the filters and possibly ruin the IP or injectors.

oddshot

It is rust preventative we use in production so parts don't rust in transit. It gets tacky when it dries, but maybe just add some gasoline to cut it? Has anyone burned it in the deuce before? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
A number of people will tell you that burning WMO in these engines is a bad idea.

The "tacky" part IS a little off putting.

But ... If you get enough of it to make it worthwhile ... a couple hundred gallons or so ...

I would try to get the manufacturers product description on the stuff. Perkins makes a lot of these rust preventative products. Some dry very hard in air, others require heating, some are just grades of oil. ALSO get the MSDS. Make sure that nothing dangerous is going to happen if you mix this stuff with gasoline or diesel.

After you make sure its safe, it wouldn't hurt to mix it with a little gasoline ... or diesel ... and see what happens.

Leave the mix in a shallow pan or a paint can lid for a couple days or longer, just to see if it gets hard or gummy.

You might even want to send Perkins an email asking if mixing with gasoline or diesel interrupts or stops the curing process.

But if you only got 5 or 10 gallons ... I don't think it would be worth the time.

oddshot

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks