• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you jump start a Deuce with 12 v?

cyruscat

Can you jump start a 24 volt truck with only a 12 volt system on the other end?

If not then what is a cheap easy method if you don't have another 24 v. system handy? Something portable to take on a recovery mission.

Thanks,
Cyruscat

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can if only one battery is bad. Just hook up your 12v truck to one battery (+ to + and - to -) and try to start. If that doesn't work switch to the other battery and try it. If it still doesn't work both batterys are low and the only thing to do if you only have 12v available is to charge each individual battery for some time before trying it again.

Keith_J

Yes, you can JUMP CHARGE. Not jump start. I did it last week at DRMO, some idiot was trying to tell Andy and I that it could not be done. I whipped out my voltmeter and checked the battery voltage...going up.... Took about an hour, in the mean time, I ran through the other PMCS items.

Takes a while. Now if you have two 12 volt vehicles and two sets of jumper cables, it is a snap, just do NOT let the vehicles touch.

Orionspath

Agreed. Both are workable solutions. I have received guidance from Bkuba on what m16 ty has identified, and what Recovery 4X4 has stated. My first 250 mile trip to Delaware from Virginia turned up a discharging Genorator. A quick coaching call to Bruce helped me keep moving. I picked up a couple new batteries and had to replace the discharged batteries 3/4 of the way back, a month later.

Alredneck

Banned
You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:-D

Well most the time, but as stated above not all the time. I can substantiate the claim by m16ty!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Get two cheap Wally-world batteies (highest CCA you can get) and keep them as spares.
Hook them together just like the deuce batteries and get a set of jumper cables made out of weldling cable (cheap jumper cables are chit).
Put them on a cart or some other way of easily transporting them.
I keep mine in a plastic deuce battery box so I can just transplant them if needed.
You will need a buddy to help you swap them out unless you are a big old boy.
My usual method is to:

Try to crank deuce.
Curse dead batteries
Swap batteries out.
Hook dead batteries up to charger.
Swap batteries back out when I get around to it.

I guess if I wanted to get fancy I could install a NATO receptacle on the battery box and use my slave cables........another dammmed project.

I guess if I wanted to get fancy I could install a NATO receptacle on the battery box and use my slave cables........another dammmed project.
That is what I am installing right now to jump off my HMMWV. (NATO style)

I have used one set of jumper cables to charge (jump charge as mentioned above) both batteries (not jump start)...you just wire the bateries in parallel instead of in series using the existing cables. This way you do not need two sets of jumper cables, and also helps to foat an even charge if one battery in in better condition.

During a recovery-always have at least one set of good batteries fully charged....that is about the 1st thing on the list.

cyruscat

Thanks for the replies.

Sound like I am going to buy two new batteries and wire up to put out 24 volts and box them up for easy movement.

Probally need couple batteries anyway for recovering M35A2.

Plenty of good info and people on this site!

saddamsnightmare

August 28th, 2009.

Why Jump? If you have fuel in the truck, the batteries are in the circuit, just put it in gear, and pull or push start..... it's a diesel, it won't care!2cents

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

emr

All good info, I will just add , when trying a single batt to one of the 2 to see if only one is bad , try the one that is connected to the starter first, if they are not to low it will/may work Thats what I would do, saves time,U can use 2 jumpers one from one car and another from another car to the second bat, yes the alt will charge all batts and this is a very efficient way of haveing one alt on each batt also, You really should let em sit and take a little charge first any way, no need to rush it, it very well actually make it take longer than just being patient and letting pick up a bit of juice.Now one or both batts can be so dead they will suck up all the juice and wont do a thing, so any of the above and this can happen, And a jump start will be good too, and if the volt meter sayis they are chaging let em sit and run for awhile before taking off and maybe avoid stalling in a bad place and not having enough juice yet to get her going again...,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks