• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can you start the motor with the transmission removed?

yolner

I installed a new rear main and would like to check my work before I put the trans back on. If I put the flywheel back on and leave the clutch/pp off is it safe to run the truck for a few minutes to see if it leaks?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If for some crazy reason, you can't shut the motor off by the engine kill "pull" you can cover the intake to "choke off" its air supply. Never know when something crazy will happen.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
DUDE, you fire that without the clutch and trans on it and it will run away! No exrtra resistance from the transmission and the RPM will go thru the roof, you'll spin bearings, throw rods, float valves, blow the turbo and air compressor and it won't shut off 'till it runs out of oil..WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN' MAN!!!

Not really, it will be fine [thumbzup]

boomer

DUDE, you fire that without the clutch and trans on it and it will run away! No exrtra resistance from the transmission and the RPM will go thru the roof, you'll spin bearings, throw rods, float valves, blow the turbo and air compressor and it won't shut off 'till it runs out of oil..WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN' MAN!!!

Not really, it will be fine [thumbzup]
Good one, Will.:lol:

Jones

It's always a good idea to have a way to smother an engine when testing. DON'T use a rag or anything else soft as the turbo will inhale it and give you one more thing else to fix.
A piece of 1/2" or thicker plywood is a good choice; even better if you've carpet tacked a piece of conveyor belting to it for a better seal.
And keep it close at hand. While the RPMs build exponentially isn't the time to try to remember where you saw it last.

onegmjack

When I put a clutch,pressure plate and had the flywheel surfaced,the truck would not srart.Then I discovered the ground strap was off.Had to bolt it back to the engine,then started normal except for the trans was still out.

yolner

Any thoughts on how long I should run the motor to check for leaks in the new rear main? I just ran it for 35 mins and don't see any oil at the bottom of the bellhousing

Last edited: