• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian buying from GL questions

Brian46

Here goes, I been searching for a while on the forum and I can't find the answers, forgive me if they have been posted because I couldn't find them for the life of me.

Is it possible for me (Canadian) to buy directly from GL?

Am I allowed as a Canadian to pick up the vehicle myself from the auction site?

As a canadian, can I buy insurance for the vehicle in the USA to drive it off the auction site and to the border for export?

Finally, Where would I apply to get a title to export the vehicle as I am not a resident of the USA?

Any help would be much appreciated, I have exported vehicles before from the US, but never an ex military non titled one.

Is there a company or service I could use to buy through that would essentially cut the "red tape" for me making the process much easier?

Thanks for any and all help in advance

Brian

wsucougarx

Brian,
Try contacting a fellow SS's by the name of odnorth (Rob) and Seano11 (Sean).They are both fellow Canadians who have done their research and should be able to shed light on your questions.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would ask GL these questions.

Nobody here has any authority with GL.

Last edited:

Nonotagain

With the M939 series trucks being sold not requiring an End Use Certificate, GL couldn't care who they are sold to.

The issue that you as a Canadian are going to have is that GL will not process the paper work for the SF-97 until the vehicle is removed from their lot. This process can take anywhere from a few weeks to more than a month. What this means to you is unless Canada has a mechanism in place for issuing a title based one your Bill of Sale, and issuing a temporary transport tag, your'e stuck until you get the SF-97.

You would be better off purchasing a vehicle all ready titled from another person that has gone thru the SF-97 and title process.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sorry not trying to thread jack but i am in a similar boat. i purchased a 6x6 from ft lewis and now want to sell it to a fella up in BC. i have the sf-97 for the truck. is that all thats needed??
Since the SF-97 is in your name you need to get a title in your name from your state .

Brian46

I just went through all this, for a regular joe canadian we need to buy a vehicle that has a state title or we can not register the vehicle once we get to canada, The US border will also not process the Export paperwork for a private person if all we come to the border with is a SF97 unless you get a new guy but you would be unable to register the vehicle in canada still. I just bought a M931A2 out of washington, if you have the SF97 you can now get an Instant Washington title for it, it costs just over $100 and they print it on the spot, no waiting.

Brian46

Brian that is great info. where did you go to get this intstant title you speak of?
I'm not 100% sure on that as I was the canadian buyer, don't you guys have aplace you go to for auto insurance, trip permits, etc?. when I picked my truck up I had to go to one to get my trip permit.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PHP:
well the sf-97 is not in my name. it has the name of some guy employed by gl and then we got a notarized bill of sale from that person (GL employee) to us. is that standard practice??

If I'm not mistaken, GL employees are not allowed to bid on items. Not sure how the sf97 could be in a GL employee's name.

EO2NMCB

If I'm not mistaken, GL employees are not allowed to bid on items. Not sure how the sf97 could be in a GL employee's name.
The Sf97 will be in GL's name, GL will try to give you a letter of reassignment, a lot of states will not acept it. I gussing that is what he ment by GL employee name.

KsM715

sorry not trying to thread jack but i am in a similar boat. i purchased a 6x6 from ft lewis and now want to sell it to a fella up in BC. i have the sf-97 for the truck. is that all thats needed??
Wouldn't that be exporting? You may want to check into the legalities of that before you sell it.

*edit* before anyone jumps me, he did not state what type of 6x6 it was nor wether he did an EUC for it. Also just because it does not have an EUC does not mean its free game to sell outside the country.

Last edited: