• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canadian Lic. suggestions

budman67

I am hoping to purchase a M35A2 this year,Then I got to
thinking about the type of license for it.I have my AZ,so
I'm not concerned about me driving it,but it is a air over
hydraulic brake system,and some of my friends don't have
a Z endorsement. I have driven the A40D Volvo down the
roads,but you need a Z air brake to do so.It is also the
same type of braking system.
Also,what type of plate do you use up here,if things work
out well,I planned on it almost being a daily driver,on and
off road for wood and odds and ends?8)

WPNS421

What province are you in???? In Ontario to drive a deuce all you need is a G licence because you have hydraulic brakes. (air over Hydraulics) some provinces might need different licences check with the licencing office, each province is different.

budman67

I am located in Bantario,the MTO requires a Z endorsement I am
sure.But what type of plate,some have distance maximums on them?
Should I get a vintage or private for a daily driver?

WPNS421

The MTO does not require a Z endorsement for hydraulic brakes. Get reqular plates for the deuce if you want a daily driver. A historical plate has too many restrictions, with a historical you are not allowed on any highways, any roads with posted speed limits over 70 KPH. You cannot drive after dusk and before dawn, also the vehicle can only be driven to go to parrades and shows. If you get caught with a load in the back, you get a ticket, also if you haul anything they might require a CVOR(Commercial vehicle owner registration) and an IFTA sticker if you go out of province. Owning a deuce sounds easy but it is not.
Also because the truck weights over 4500KG you must get a vehicle inspection every year. At the price of diesel in Canada I would think twice before using the truck as a daily driver, to fill a fuel tank in Canada costs about $275.00. Also forget about using WMO because if you get caught with anything but clear diesel in the tank, you get a minimum $400.00 ticket and they will then do a research on how long you have had the truck, annual mileage and you will get a nice bill for unpaid road taxes.
If you are still interested in a deuce PM me.

budman67

The reason I ask on the Lic. is,the off road trucks we have,you need a
airbrake ticket to drive them on the road.And where I would be driving
the ML would be gravel roads,mostly in and out of the bush. I plan on
keeping a low profile with this truck,hard to believe when I say daily
driver,but I mostly drive the back roads anyways.

The off road truck I am referring to is the Volvo A40D,A few guys
at our company got dinged for no Z ticket,these trucks run a
similar system of air over hydraulic.

Attachments

Last edited:

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I should have added that I have a CVOR,but this truck is for personal use,
not a business.
Don't count on the MTO caring one bit that the truck is for PERSONAL use, NOT COMMERCIAL.
If it is over 4500 kg, they want to see the yellow sticker on it. If you have the yellow sticker, you will safety it annually and you will e-test it annually. Get the picture? The MTO looks at your 40 year old historic truck as it looks at a 2011 commercial Pete semi tractor and holds you to the exact same standards. And you WILL use your CVOR.

Think about an alternative strategy now, because when you are at the inspection station, watching the tech hook up the e-test probe and stomp your engine from idle to governor redline three times in a row (while you watch and cringe) before telling you that you failed the e-test, it will be too late. The Multi will not pass the ON diesel exhaust particle density requirements, period.

budman67

With gas at 1.33.9CDN a liter,and diesel at 1.34.9 CDN a liter,this
is a good option for a blending vehicle for after work.

I am aware of the yearly safety,and e test.I have had MY Freightliner
in every year,and it is a 88 with a 425 cat.I understand the commercial
end,I wasn't sure about the private use end.

Attachments

Last edited:

budman67

You are required to provide proof you had an e test by carrying the paper
with you,and your safety sticker on the left cab side along with your circle
jerk with correct mileage.

Thanks for the concern,but I am not new to trucking,just this this truck.

budman67

Don't count on the MTO caring one bit that the truck is for PERSONAL use, NOT COMMERCIAL.
If it is over 4500 kg, they want to see the yellow sticker on it. If you have the yellow sticker, you will safety it annually and you will e-test it annually. Get the picture? The MTO looks at your 40 year old historic truck as it looks at a 2011 commercial Pete semi tractor and holds you to the exact same standards. And you WILL use your CVOR.

Think about an alternative strategy now, because when you are at the inspection station, watching the tech hook up the e-test probe and stomp your engine from idle to governor redline three times in a row (while you watch and cringe) before telling you that you failed the e-test, it will be too late. The Multi will not pass the ON diesel exhaust particle density requirements, period.
Thanks cattlerepairman

The pm and E mail were very helpful,I was aware of the annual safety along
with the E test.Did you know that,if you score really good on the E test,you
can skip a year? This is not a project I am taking lightly,it might take me till
this winter to get a good grip in general terms of the proper legal methods
of using this ML. But if I can cut down my fuel cost,can you hold that against
me?

Injunfarian

I am curious as well... With the annual etest... I am moving to an area that does not require etests on personal vehicles. Does this also exempt a duece from the annual etest?

budman67

I can not see a deuce from being exempt,it is a heavy truck.But if
you can set it up Pryor to the test and maker sure the engine is
hot before the test,because if it is cold,it will foul the test against
you.

If you are using multi fuel,purge the system with hot fuel then
normal diesel so that they have decent numbers.If turning
back the pump is easy for you,go for that also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks