• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canister Style Fuel Filter Removal

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tomorrow, my son and I are going to try to replace the Primary and Secondary Fuel Filters on my "Newly Acquired" deuce. Eventually, I will swap these canister style filters for the spin-on system, but it won't be any time soon.

So... I am wondering how you folks are unscrewing the canisters from the filter bases. It seems as though I would need a fuel filter wrench. How have you guys been removing these housings from the bases... TIA...

Peace in Christ...
Leo

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cans are held on with a thru bolt. Just unscrew it and they come apart.

One reason for keeping them as is, if your truck dies with plugged filters, you can remove the element and drive on if you are on a CRITICAL drive. No so with no spin-on replacement on board.

Obviously, this may lead to pump or injector damage, but if conditions demand...

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your quick reply! I have been pouring over the TM's and had no success in finding the part numbers and diagrams for these three filters. I assumed they were held on by through-bolts but nothing I could find in the TM's discuss this. I imagine the bolts are 5/8 or 9/16. Well, we are going to get after it tomorrow (weather dependent), and hopefully I will be able to get my truck started again with clean #2 Diesel fuel. If I can get it running, I should be able to turn it around and load it onto a trailer without having to use a winch...

KN6KXR

The cans are held on with a thru bolt. Just unscrew it and they come apart.

One reason for keeping them as is, if your truck dies with plugged filters, you can remove the element and drive on if you are on a CRITICAL drive. No so with no spin-on replacement on board.

Obviously, this may lead to pump or injector damage, but if conditions demand...
Good point. When I upgrade mine I'll install a bypass. I'll be in there anyways why not.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE: My son and I replaced the fuel filters on my truck today. It took 2.5 hours to get from our home to the truck, but it was worth it. I got the filters from O'Reilly's and they fit perfectly. When the filters were removed, we had to clean out the canisters. They were filled with sludge and solids that were really gumming up my filters. With the filters removed, I blew through the fuel lines to evacuate the old goo. Once the lines were clear, we installed the new filters and activated the external fuel pump. Eventually, clean fuel was throughout. The truck started within 15 seconds of cranking and stayed running. I was ecstatic. Still no brakes, but it was running strong...

M35fan

Steel Soldiers Supporter
UPDATE: My son and I replaced the fuel filters on my truck today. It took 2.5 hours to get from our home to the truck, but it was worth it. I got the filters from O'Reilly's and they fit perfectly. When the filters were removed, we had to clean out the canisters. They were filled with sludge and solids that were really gumming up my filters. With the filters removed, I blew through the fuel lines to evacuate the old goo. Once the lines were clear, we installed the new filters and activated the external fuel pump. Eventually, clean fuel was throughout. The truck started within 15 seconds of cranking and stayed running. I was ecstatic. Still no brakes, but it was running strong...
Excellent! Hard work does pay off. Glad you got her going.

Guyfang

Staff member
Thank you for your quick reply! I have been pouring over the TM's and had no success in finding the part numbers and diagrams for these three filters. I assumed they were held on by through-bolts but nothing I could find in the TM's discuss this. I imagine the bolts are 5/8 or 9/16. Well, we are going to get after it tomorrow (weather dependent), and hopefully I will be able to get my truck started again with clean #2 Diesel fuel. If I can get it running, I should be able to turn it around and load it onto a trailer without having to use a winch...

What TM's did you use to look for parts? TM #'s please. You may not be using the right book.

rmesgt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM 9-2320-209-34P, Group 03 - Fuel System. I was able to find the part numbers for the original components, but they don't cross to civilian parts. For example: Fuel Filters - NSN 2910-01-120-2182, Mfg # 11610298 will show up on a google search, but I cannot determine a way to cross reference either the NSN or MFG # to civilian parts stores such as Napa, O'Reilly, or Autozone. When I bring this information to the stores, they stare at me like I am asking for ride to the moon. They have no way to cross reference these TM based part numbers...

Guyfang

Staff member
Part numbers for NSN: 2910-01-120-2182
1. 053161-04 Purolater/Facet
2. 053161-04 REV M Purolater/Facit
3. 11610298 TACOM, (No use)
4. 96-36-3850 Parker-Hannifn
5. C-100494 Parker-Hannifn
6. A910154 Kaydon Custom Filtration

I simply put the part #053161-04 in my browser, and got this info. Most of the info you need, is in threads, multi times in the Deuce form. The two links below will be of much help to you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks