• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cannibalized while waiting for EUC!

papercu

What can you tell us about "insurance"? Who might provide that, and how would it work?
If you have insurance on anything you own see the person you buy it from. Insurance pays when you suffer a loss. Wayne

stumps

Chuck -

Hard to argue with THAT logic - I agree, completely! I don't believe that to be what most have been commenting on, however. I'm guessing that it isn't GL who is liberating most of the missing stuff.

Al
When I was at one site, the GL guy told me that before the new fence went up, he used to catch the National Guard guys "shopping" in the GL lot. In any case, the GL guys generally know pretty well how the stuff is leaking out. Some care quite a lot about the problem... others couldn't care less.

-Chuck

EXITNOONE

ALCARP- welcome to the forum. sorry your GL experience has become negative.

1. you've already informed the onsight GL rep, however, there's most likely nothing he can do unless he pitches your claim up the corporate line. instead of waiting or banking on that, you should call the phoenix GL headquarters directly to make your complaint/claim.

2. take photos of the threads and bolt holes which will be fresh to prove your point that parts were recently removed. use your actual GL auction photos as proof that there was at least one of the four parts on the generator at the time of sale.

3. inform base security of the theft. and make sure it is understood as theft. not as borrowed parts, or any other cute name for stealing. this is an auction item with specific implications as to the soundness of the sale and it's inherent parts at time of sale.

4. find out who the base CO is, which is responsible for base GL and notify him of the problem. the last thing a mid level CO wants on his record is a botched situation like this. if you were a CO in for 20 and 3 years away, would you want a theft reported and unresolved on your pristine record ?? of course not, so you would get to the bottom of the situation for the victim.

if enough GL buyers get proactive, GL will have no choice but to be far more responsible with their auction items.

if a civilian misrepresented their ebay sale like GL has the propensity to do, that civilian would be kicked off ebay with too many negative feedbacks.

if GL gets enough bad strikes, the government may end up dropping them in favor of a far more competent private auction contractor.

GL is simply a private company operating with government permission on base.
they are not the end all be all, all powerful entity their name implies.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RESOLUTION.

stumps

I think the insurance idea is a very good one. Tort law says that if someone is holding YOUR property in their facilities, they are responsible for its safety. The problem is, even though you have paid for the property, you haven't received it until you sign the receipt, and take it off of the lot. It would be worth talking to your agent about the problem. There may be an easy solution.

-Chuck

alcarp

If you have insurance on anything you own see the person you buy it from. Insurance pays when you suffer a loss. Wayne

Wayne -

OK - guess I thought you had something else in mind. My insurer is USAA, perhaps the best in the business, so I will probably run it by them, just for the **** of it!

This issue appears to be way bigger than my insignificant losses, though, and I'm starting to feel duty-bound to stick with it, in hopes of a satisfactory resolution for ALL who are affected by it! Like many of you, I can afford to replace piddling little parts (IF they are available!), but we shouldn't HAVE to DO THAT! Somebody else is gaining, illegitimately, at OUR expense - that's WRONG!

Al

mistaken1

alcarp

I think the insurance idea is a very good one. Tort law says that if someone is holding YOUR property in their facilities, they are responsible for its safety. The problem is, even though you have paid for the property, you haven't received it until you sign the receipt, and take it off of the lot. It would be worth talking to your agent about the problem. There may be an easy solution.

-Chuck

Chuck -

Worth considering - I'll keep that idea in my bag of tricks! As I have said, elsewhere, though, in my case, the actual value loss, to me, is pretty insignificant. It could amount to a lot, for someone else and, if this problem needs to be addressed and fixed, let's do it right for EVERYONE!

Al

alcarp

ALCARP- welcome to the forum. sorry your GL experience has become negative.

1. you've already informed the onsight GL rep, however, there's most likely nothing he can do unless he pitches your claim up the corporate line. instead of waiting or banking on that, you should call the phoenix GL headquarters directly to make your complaint/claim.

2. take photos of the threads and bolt holes which will be fresh to prove your point that parts were recently removed. use your actual GL auction photos as proof that there was at least one of the four parts on the generator at the time of sale.

3. inform base security of the theft. and make sure it is understood as theft. not as borrowed parts, or any other cute name for stealing. this is an auction item with specific implications as to the soundness of the sale and it's inherent parts at time of sale.

4. find out who the base CO is, which is responsible for base GL and notify him of the problem. the last thing a mid level CO wants on his record is a botched situation like this. if you were a CO in for 20 and 3 years away, would you want a theft reported and unresolved on your pristine record ?? of course not, so you would get to the bottom of the situation for the victim.

if enough GL buyers get proactive, GL will have no choice but to be far more responsible with their auction items.

if a civilian misrepresented their ebay sale like GL has the propensity to do, that civilian would be kicked off ebay with too many negative feedbacks.

if GL gets enough bad strikes, the government may end up dropping them in favor of a far more competent private auction contractor.

GL is simply a private company operating with government permission on base.
they are not the end all be all, all powerful entity their name implies.

GOOD LUCK ON YOUR RESOLUTION.

EXITNOONE -

I may not "get" your jewelry (my fault), but you certainly do "get" the problem we've been discussing! Thanks!!

1. I may do that - if I don't hear back from the GL guy, before I receive my EUC. He should have had my email for at least two business days, now, and still nothing. He always has responded to my Col. buddy's emails very quickly, so he may be ignoring me.

2. Not sure that detail will show in the pics I took, but worth a try.

3. Good advice - I continue to lean in that direction, myself!

4. EXCELLENT observations/comments!! Again, I'm not trying to change the world, but if I should happen to, for whatever reason, be positioned to "rock the boat", perhaps we could all benefit - as you all deserve to, more than I

Al!

alcarp

Alcarp, looks like you are addicted to the site without knowing it.:)

kipman -

Probably so, at least temporarily - sorry about that!

Guess I'll go clean some weapons, and re-organize and count ammo - just to clear my head! I've already been reminded that I'm "beating a dead horse", so I'll clear out and see what happens next...

Thanks to ALL responders - you have added, greatly, to my education!

Al

EXITNOONE

ALCARP- no problem on the "jewelry"... i just made a ring for a buddy who put on a new stripe this year in his army service. his ring has his new rank insignia and his name on the inside. all my rings are heavy knuckle dusters and designed to be worn on the middle finger. the ones you see on my site are the nicey-nice hollywood kind i sell around los angeles.

HOWEVER THAT'S NOT THE MAIN ISSUE HERE....

i do hope you stick with your GL claim. it's easy to just say oh well, i can replace those parts on my own and avoid the headaches of setting things straight... but when as AMERICANS did we develop this mentality that it's ok to be pi$$ed on ?!?!?
there's just too much of that kind of thinking these days as it is.
as veterans, we deserve a square deal in all our transactions on the soil we've fought to defend from being like the rest of the world.

SEE, THIS IS AN INTERNATIONAL ISSUE OF EPIC PROPORTIONS NOW !!!

it's all about principle

alcarp

EXITNOONE -

Nice to see I'm not alone in standing up for principle because, you're right, "It's all about principle". In my case the potential cost to me is probably negligible. The hassle to replace or workaround missing parts, however, could easily become pretty annoying, and the principle is that none of us should HAVE to do it!

I bid top dollar, to get a unit that was clean and complete. Had I bought a used car, at a dealer (or even private sale!), and found, when I came to pick it up, that it was missing parts, that weren't missing when I bought it, I certainly wouldn't let THAT go, so why should I, or anyone, accept such treatment from a govt. contractor, who relies for his business on folks like us?

Unlike many SS, I'm not a hobbyist - I'm bidding only on a few items to perhaps enable me and my family to survive the likely mess that our current resident in the WH, and our wrong-headed members of Congress have created for us! If we don't teach our kids and grandkids the difference between right and wrong, what is the point of trying to save our country for them?!

Sorry for the rant!

Al

When I bought my Deuce in February of this year, I didn't know a whole lot about the process, and ended up waiting 6 months before delivery of the truck.

While I was waiting for the EUC to clear, someone "appropriated" the D Ring shackles on the front bumper. I wasn't happy about it, but I just figured that the parts were needed (I got the Deuce from Camp Beauregard, a NG post, and I think they are still using a few of them).

Didn't think too much about it until I priced some shackles recently. $50 bucks a pop for each, plus shipping is kinda steep, so I am more peeved about it now than I was then.

And I know for a fact that the DRMO lot at Beauregard is not even secured, it is next to a fenced in lot, but everything I have ever seen there for GL is next to the lot, not behind the fence.

LC

alcarp

When I bought my Deuce in February of this year, I didn't know a whole lot about the process, and ended up waiting 6 months before delivery of the truck.

While I was waiting for the EUC to clear, someone "appropriated" the D Ring shackles on the front bumper. I wasn't happy about it, but I just figured that the parts were needed (I got the Deuce from Camp Beauregard, a NG post, and I think they are still using a few of them).

Didn't think too much about it until I priced some shackles recently. $50 bucks a pop for each, plus shipping is kinda steep, so I am more peeved about it now than I was then.

And I know for a fact that the DRMO lot at Beauregard is not even secured, it is next to a fenced in lot, but everything I have ever seen there for GL is next to the lot, not behind the fence.

LC

LC -

Thanks for letting us in on your experience. These days, nobody has money to just throw around senselessly, particularly when you have already paid for something, only to see it ripped off, while you're waiting for an EUC or loadout appointment!

Despite that, however, the feeling I'm getting from this thread is less about the personal cost, and more about trust, and resentment in being obviously ripped off, most likely by other buyers, who seem to think that it is perfectly OK to screw your SS buddies! We sure didn't do that in combat,so what has changed, to make it OK, now?!

Yeah, I know that not everyone buying through GL auctions is a SS, but there seems to be reports of a lot of similar, bad experiences being shared on this net, so it is not an imaginary problem!

I intend to start taking steps, on my own, with GL and appropriate military people in the chain of command, after this weekend, and the grandkids have gone back home. Just like playing the lottery, it may be unlikely that I will ever see a big win, but we can't win if we don't buy a ticket - which means some noise has to be made - we can ALL do THAT!

I'll report back, with any progress or roadblocks!

Al

storeman

Al,

Congrats on your promotion to Corporal! At the rate you were going, I knew you would make it! Am back in the neighborhood praying for my EUCs.
Jerry:beer:

alcarp

EVERYBODY that has been a VICTUM needs to JOIN the fight, ONE shot may win the squamish, but a BARRAGE will WIN the WAR
-----------------------------------------

Ron -

Well, I don't know that we WILL "win the war", with a barrage, but we certainly won't if we all continue to do nothing!

Now that the holiday is over, I plan to attempt to contact the Ft. Meade Site Manager, by phone, probably on Monday, 11/29, to inquire as to his intentions regarding my email from a week before Thanksgiving. If he indicates that he will sincerely try to "make me whole" with my lot, then it would be prudent of me to wait until my EUC clears, and I pick my lot up, before taking further action.

Should I fail in that attempt, I intend to contact GL HQ and discuss the consequences to them of "breach of contract". They make the point, very clearly, in THEIR bid instructions, that by bidding WE are entering into a legal contract with them. Last I knew, contracts were a two-way street! I have already MET MY legal obligation - their turn, now!

Should I get nowhere by that juncture, it will be time to drive up to Ft. Meade, for a talk with the post C.O., Provost Marshall, and/or whomever else might be appropriate. I have always found face-to-face discussions to be more fruitful than letters, email, or phone, although backing such meetings up with correspondence is important.

I suppose the next step up would be to contact whomever is responsible for letting the GL contract. If I have to go that far, it will be necessary to do some research, as I have (fortunately!) never been involved in games like that, before! Never too old to learn, though...

Beyond that is the old "Congressional Interest" route, but my current distaste for all things political will discourage that, unless there appears to be no other way! Being relatively close to D.C. would make it a bit easier for me to exercise a "personal touch", and I do know a few folks in Congress who might be helpful, but I would much prefer to avoid that route, if possible.

I've enjoyed such great support from you and other SSs, that I feel obligated to follow through on this issue, for everyone's benefit. Followers of this thread might consider gathering dates and details of their own theft problems, relative to GL auctions, as it may be necessary to use such in presenting a sort of "class action" presentation to appropriate authorities, as we move forward. Please don't send anything to me, yet, though, as it may turn out to not be necessary!

Post-Thanksgiving regards to all!

Al

alcarp

Al,

Congrats on your promotion to Corporal! At the rate you were going, I knew you would make it! Am back in the neighborhood praying for my EUCs.
Jerry:beer:
Jerry -

Thanks! Not a "labor of love", as you can well imagine, but some things just "need doing", and this is starting to look like it DOES "need doing"! These gents deserve better treatment, and I think that the main reason they haven't been getting it, is poor oversight/leadership by a govt. contractor, and the appearance they have given, of being a large group of relatively quiet (so far!) victims - may be time to make some noise!

Al

Last edited: