• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Canning Stock Route

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can read the Wikipedia page, for some insights. Here's another article. Lots of ads in the 2nd one.

Think a properly outfitted Deuce would be ok? The 2nd article I linked mentions you cross over 900 dunes and it recommends no heavy trucks.

I'm posting here because my Deuce has been modified, including a Cummins 6bt with 230 hp, I kept the original transmission for the high/low capability, 24.5" tires, additional fuel tanks. My biggest concern is the weight. I'm sitting around 8 tons.

I don't think the following is necessary, but I'm posting it because invariably someone will ask: For safety, I have solar panels, a massive LiFePO battery, an atmospheric generator (for emergencies). I would be carrying at least a month's worth of water and 200 gallons of fuel, plus maybe another 100 gallons in jerry cans. I have the Deuce winch, an electric winch (backup), block & tackle and a helical stake system. Also, a robust first aid kit and a sat phone. I can't plan for everything, that's why I got a sat phone. I'll also have a rifle just in case anyone's wondering.

Looking for opinions on the Deuce, not so much my state of mind.

20210326_151010.jpg

This is an old pic, the canopy will be gone shortly and a camper in its place.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think a properly outfitted Deuce would be ok?
For that kind of terrain a "properly outfitted Deuce" wouldn't have skinny street tires.
In soft sand your main problem is the weight on the front end. Even deflated, truck wants to go down, not forward!

My suggestion: Get yourself a set of 365/80R20 Continental MPT81 mounted on M35A3 wheels and replace those front tires, at least.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeh I’m thinking your tires are going to be a problem on the dunes as well as washboard. I’d see if you could find 50 miles of the worst washboard road around, and give the truck a shakedown.

Having another lighter m35 to convoy, share, parts, and weight with would be very helpful. Maybe @Aussie Bloke would run with you (or laugh at you) if you if you payed his way and had his truck shipped all the way across the island?

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Point taken on the tires. Sadly, I won't be in a position to fly in a whole set of wheels/tires just for one run.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Having another lighter m35 to convoy, share, parts, and weight with would be very helpful. Maybe @Aussie Bloke would run with you (or laugh at you) if you if you payed his way and had his truck shipped all the way across the island?
Having a second M35 going with you gives you a good winch anchor.

I am going to take mine across the Simpson and through central Australia, at least I have plans to,...

But I would also think of these tracks for the sand.

Aussie.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...these tracks for the sand.
I've seen over the tire tracks for duals before but not for a single tire, not that I've looked all that much.

Btw, google "over the tire tracks", and you'll find a few different choices including rubber and metal.

I'll look into these. I like to be prepared, within reason, but they may be too expensive for me. Maybe I can find a used set since I don't expect I'll need them much.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How hard could these be to make? I'm not talking for ripping about, but for slow driving ONLY when needed.

OTT tracks.jpg

Is the weight of the truck alone enough to keep the tire from spinning inside? I feel fairly confident I could reproduce this product, as pictured, and come up with a way to secure it snugly against the tire. Both a single for the front tires and a tandem axle set for the rears.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
How hard could these be to make? I'm not talking for ripping about, but for slow driving ONLY when needed.

View attachment 910154

Is the weight of the truck alone enough to keep the tire from spinning inside? I feel fairly confident I could reproduce this product, as pictured, and come up with a way to secure it snugly against the tire. Both a single for the front tires and a tandem axle set for the rears.
It would be neat!
I saw a tracked 5-Ton just a few weeks ago on here...

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
While interesting, that's kinda the same as just swapping in another wheel/tire combo. Even if I can make those tracks, I'm not sure if I have room to carry them. I'm gonna look around and see if there's a good way to carry them that doesn't take up a lot of room.

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll go a lot further in sand with tires @ 10-15psi, rather then a lot of contrivances.

Good old non-directionals really shine in that application, on both M37's and 5-tons.

Learned that in the largest dunes in North America, the Yuma Dunes.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll go a lot further in sand with tires @ 10-15psi, rather then a lot of contrivances.

Good old non-directionals really shine in that application, on both M37's and 5-tons.

Learned that in the largest dunes in North America, the Yuma Dunes.
Yeah, my thing with contrivances is getting to the dunes in the first place. I might drive thousands of miles just getting there. The idea is, what happens when you're confronted with an obstacle?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Die-hard duners carry a set of off-road tire & wheels, and run highway rubber getting there.
Never said I wanted to be a die-hard. Space is at a premium for me as I plan on living in my truck, 24/7.

I had planned on carrying probably 2 sets of chains for snow but tracks could replace those and be used in very deep snow. Everything's a give and take. Generally, I won't be doing a lot of cross country driving. Chains are somewhat compact, but of course are absolutely useless with sand.

Roof space is spoken for with solar panels. I plan on having a motorcycle on a perpendicular rack attached to my tube hitch. I may have room beneath the truck between the rails though I have some mods down there already. There's also the space in the back above the cargo gate. I could build a custom covered rack to keep out the UV.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Used conveyor belt might work for the base. It's cheap. There are more and different dimensions than the one I linked. This is just an example. The steel pieces don't look too difficult and I might be able to find them as scrap, at least some. Still thinking where to get the other rubber pieces. I know where I can buy rubber, but trying to think of a source that would be cheaper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks