• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cannot Get M1009 Fuel Filter to Purge

tgtaylor64

Help! I cannot get the filter to flow. I have tried the TM. I have connected an electric fuel pump to the small output side of the fuel filter and get nothing, even while purging with the cap off and the pink wire disconnected. The beast will not start, or if it does, will not hardly run above idle. Suggestions needed. Was driving yesterday fine and then started to lose power. Shut off and coasted to a stop. :mad:

CROM

The vent on the top of the filter housing is open while you're doing this right? I have had to manually bleed my system before using a break line bleeder (hand pump style). You can connect the break bleeder to the output of the filter housing and pump until you get fuel. Then, quickly, reconnect the line and attempt to turn it over to bleed it per tech manual.

If it still won't bleed, you either have a clog or your fuel pump is bad. A bad fuel pump isn't the end of the world. I believe $30 or so gets you a replacement. Search 'fuel pump' here to see tons of tips on replacing it. Personally, I remove the pass side alternator to give myself some room.

CROM

...oh, by the way. If you get your fuel pump off, you can check it with a little suction. Just cover the ouput hole with your finger and suck on the other end and plug it with your tounge. It should hold a vacuum. And diesel doesn't taste that bad.:drool:

NCBloodhound

Before you yank the fuel pump, check the output pressure from the line going into the filter inlet. Tech Manuals say between 5.5 and 6.5 psi. Page 91 of TM 9-2320-289-20. Page 149 or section 3-10 has fuel pump replacement steps. I had to test mine this weekend, so it is fresh on my mind. Harbor Freight has a small fuel pressure kit for $15.

CROM

The clog had to come from somewhere. Most likely the tank. If you blow all that crud back to the tank, you'll just clog up again eventually.

I would try pulling the pump and checking it. When I pulled mine, it checked good and upon re-installation, I was able to purge in about 10-12 secs. Sometimes things just need to be reset.

Side note: I only opened my vent about a half turn...not sure if that matters or not.

Draco-87

Help! I cannot get the filter to flow. I have tried the TM. I have connected an electric fuel pump to the small output side of the fuel filter and get nothing, even while purging with the cap off and the pink wire disconnected. The beast will not start, or if it does, will not hardly run above idle. Suggestions needed. Was driving yesterday fine and then started to lose power. Shut off and coasted to a stop. :mad:
I have had problems with the stock fuel filter rubber gaskets rolling when i put the filter on. so installed a stock civy 6.2 spin on fuel filter and all my filter probs disapered :D