• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't believe it.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just drive it back the way it is James. It's cooler if you take the northern route back. I-80 is a good rood. Head south when you get east of the Mississippi. You could start south a little sooner if you like, just make sure you avoid LA and MS, the roads there are pretty bad. I about beat myself to death driving two trucks I bought in LA back.

Plan a stop at the Heartland Military Museum in Nebraska. It's at I-80 exit 237 in Lexington, right by the interstate.

Have a good trip and take lots of pictures.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I even got the tachograph key. Yea not going through the lower side Ray. I80 and temps look like 86* for the day in Oregon. Good thing the truck has vent wings I can open. A good inspection of truck and double check front tires for any signs of dry riot and stamp date. If the look like they might be a problem then the cost of just two front will not be a problem. By the time I get her home the cost of the truck and all money spent on the way it will still be cheaper than the 15k I have into the M1088 and a better tractor I feel.
Got a 10 day tag and she is insured.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

You are going to triple the miles on the odometer before you get home, but you will have one good recovery tale to tell if we keep murphy busy down here in Florida for the next week or so.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are coming down I80, get tires from Boyce-you should drive right by them. Also in Cheyenne if you need help.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
55 mph is going to be rough enough without any weight on back anyways! It is sometimes too fast if you have to get on your brakes hard when bobtailing. Have fun and be safe!!

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a text from James yesterday. He was still in Oregon doing PM's. He said the truck is in good shape and drives good. Unfortunately it only goes 54 mph so it looks like a slow trip back.

Maybe he will check in with some pictures soon.

FloridaAKM

I talked with James this morning about 08:00 & his alternator has died, something about the positive stud has come out of it. He is somewhere in Kentucky, he didn't elaborate due to being frustrated. He is trying to find a shop that might be able to repair or replace the alternator problem. If that does not happen, then he is going to ship it the rest of the way home. Almost 2/3's of the trip done & murphy paid him a visit. So close yet so far!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell him to go to Home Depot/Loews etc and get a cheapie gas generator and a battery charger and strap those to the catwalk and press on.

FloridaAKM

James has gotten a stepdeck & tractor to bring him back to Florida, whats amazing is that he put it all together since I posted this morning & is on the road as I type this message. I told him to leave murphy up in Kentucky & not bring him back to Florida.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have met James you'd know he isn't waiting for anyone or anything.

Go James Go.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well almost made it but as Allen said the alternator stud is loose but did not fall all the way out. Home now and gave it a good try doing 2594 miles of the trip. The governor was set at 1900 rpm and not at 2100. That only gave me 54mph then the engine problem kicked in. Some how the engine over speed sensor would kick in and drop the rpm to 1800 and that was 51mph. If I stop and let her cool down for five or so minutes then shut off the engine for 20 seconds then restart she would reset and the check engine light would go out. I had the flash codes and it was a 54 engine over speed. I was real careful not to go over 1900rpm but for some reason it still would kick out. I might have found the problem at the over speed sensor as I lightly pulled on the two wires and they both pulled out like they were not connected. Got lucky and had some tools and was able to crimp them back on the lugs. She ran correct after then but then the alternator problem showed up in Mount Vernon Il. When I get the alternator fixed I will take it to the Freightliner dealer and they said they could reset the rpm to 2100 and the speed to 70mph. I have a full set of 11x24.5 tries and rims I will put on her soon and what ever the speed ends up with I will just stick with that. I want to keep the radial tires for a better ride, Truck burned maybe 2 qt. of oil for the 2594 miles but pulled strong even at the hills she kept 54mph and I could pass the other trucks the just passed me on the flat before the big hills.

Attachments

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Yes, home safe & sound. Now, when you shake off all the days of driving, you can get to work on her.

Your lake is really up with all the rain we have been getting. Congratulations on getting her home (you too) in one piece.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well got a use Alt. coming for 300 but took this apart to sea. It's a carriage bolt that must have come loose and cause arcing. Think I will try and line it up good and tighten up the stud again and sea if it will work. If so then I have a spare. The two bolts on on the pic shows the arced and the good heads on them. Here I learned that the inner stud nut must be kept tight so as not to cause arcing and then fail. I will check the new one for tight studs.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks