• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't find Alt that fits

MerkWork

Okay, I think both alts. are bad and none of the local shops can find the right alt for my cucv. Is there a specific type or does someone have a part # that can help. I need them both unless I figure out how to convert to a 12v system. I have one prospect coming in tomorrow but they want 209.99 for the darn thing. Ouch!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rebuild them.

Use the search funtion on the left side of the page

Every issue you can have with alternators, has been covered.

Read for a few hours, the threads in the CUCV forum.

New is gonna cost ya, rebuilding is easy and should cost you about $75 to do both(yourself).

markg

if you need one in a pinch go to the zone and get one for a 75 cadillac. same case size.

i have a whole pile of ones i thought were bad, would not work on the pass. side, but would on the drivers side. get them tested.

kassim503

The drivers side alt is a 15 si Delco alternator, which is also compatible with the 12 and 17 si series alternator that is found in almost every GM car from 1970 until the mid 80's.

Could always give rebuilding them a try, they are really simple devices. The kind of thing you can take apart and put back together with no manuals or instructions

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the drivers side alt is a 15 si delco alternator,
wrong They are 27si alts.

Doug, is that wilson number for an isolated ground alt?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doug, is that wilson number for an isolated ground alt?
That NAPA number is for an "isolated ground" Wilson rebuild. Covered in the CUCV Wiki. WIL 90014277

There has been issues with these alternators. Some have been rebuilt without the "isolated ground". Make sure you check them before leaving the store.

MerkWork

I am thinking of going the rebuild way...the wilson was going to run me 209.00...way too much for my budget!
Thanks fellas for the info big help!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
no problem/np

How do you test a Wilson rebuild to determine if it is an isolated ground? Thanks.
With a volt/ohm meter, test for continuity between the output terminals and the alternator case (shouldn't be any on an isolated ground alt). I like to test ALL the alternator terminals on rebuilds to make sure nothing is shorted to the case.

Hoolio

Find a local starter/alternator rebuilder..They can rebuild/repair your old units..They're 12 volt units with external grounds..I had both or mine gone thru with new bearings for about 60 bucks apiece.. I use Buckeye Auto Electric in Painesville , Ohio

Friar Mycgyver

Just posted part numbers for rebuild kit for a 27 SI. You can search my posts Yo get all the info you need. Rebuilding them is super easy. Kits are about $27 plus shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks