• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cant find Governor Springs

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Member nevrenufhp told me he was working on making them he is the resident expert on making more powe. I have seen different ones but I heard they have to be P pump specific and all the shops I spoke with dont seem to know for sure. I am looking for a set myself. I really only want to rev to around 2600 rpms the trans is only rated at 3000.
Will

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are 2 springs. One click is a good start. If one click works good for you then you can go another. Each click is 1/4 turn and you want to go clockwise. Some motors it works better on than others. I get around 2400 rpms with one click. You will want to go a few turns of the fuel screw to give it the fuel to get up to the higher rpms though.

nevrenufhp

Still working with my injection guy on the replacement springs. He only works on it in his spare time, so I have to be patient. I told him to find 2800 - 3000 range.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
2500-3000 would probably be safer for these trucks I'm pretty sure the engine would be ok with 3000 just not the rest of the truck

nevrenufhp

Bosch has specific spring combos already. The tricky part is different flyweights on different engines, since I want to use them on a DT 466 too.

racing4funn

Fueling a diesel is what pushes the turbo the most. These springs are not going to kill a turbo. I doubt as long as you still run stock injectors that you will push the turbo too hard. In modding you should be most concerned with EGTs

nevrenufhp

Ok.... Here's what it comes to.
There isnt a specific spring combo to use. On the brighter side, you CAN use a Cummins 12 valve gov spring kit. The weights on these pumps are heavier, so it wont rev up to 3100 like on a Dodge. I cant give a specific rpm that it will go to, unless one of you fellas want to test and play with a set.
Alternate option is I can get shims for the small spring(high rpm) to raise up the limit by a few hundred rpm.

nevrenufhp

Cranking down on the retainer tightens all the springs, which makes a touchy idle, and sometimes makes it smoke real heavy at low rpm. It also can make it take longer to start(more cranking). Shimming just the upper rpm gives the nice idle and more smooth operation. He didnt say how thick of shims he has on hand, but I will buy some this week to get measurements. May make a thick one myself.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I did not know there was more than one spring in there. Sounds like a plan then. I would be happy with the shim kit for a few hundred rpms. Please let me know how much.
Will

nevrenufhp

Good news/bad news:
Good; Dodge 12 valve gov springs will work in the MW and P pumps. Someone needs to try a set to see what the top rpm is. The weights in the 8.3 are heavier than in the 5.9, so it wont go to 3100 like in a Dodge. I just dont know the exact rpm it will cut off.
Look for the ones that come with 3 new springs.

Bad; there are no shims for the small spring on the OEM springs(hi rpm). They do bind and hang up, according to the injection shop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks