• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cant find the right shade!

Scuffy

Howdy all! Its been a long LONG while since I was last able to stop by and drool over all of the wonderful projects you have in the works. Too long.

I came in search of info (name, paint code, etc) for a shade of drab paint I discovered on this forum many moons ago. I have a few projects now that I would love to use this shade on... but I can't remember for the life of me which shade it was. I have tried to do the research before hand, prior to making this post, but I haven't really come across anything similar to what I remember seeing before. So away I go!

I want to say that it was an early shade of drab, possibly used pre WW2 or just into the war. I'm not sure if in civilian terms it would be considered an olive or more of a brown. In my opinion it tends to lean towards the brown side of things. Darker than most "olive" paints one tends to see. About the only way I can do it justice is to say that it's closer to a MIX of some of the very rich, darker "coyote" browns used today and an olive. I also want to say that possibly it was noted that it was found at the time in a semi gloss or higher sheen than the flat paints used later on. Although this could just be me imagining things.

I pulled up the Rapco paints page and looked through so many of their examples but nothing seems to hit the nail on the head. I also considered the possibility that maybe this laptop is not quite color balanced the same as my old laptop. Possibly just enough of a difference that I am looking right over the exact color I had envisioned. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or maybe a referral to a good loony bin? :lol:

Thanks for your help! I'm just gonna go admire some more builds....

Scuffy

While still searching the interwebs, primarily Google images, I did come across a guy who was experimenting with mixing some paints for some projects of his own. He mentioned the US using using a mix of black and Ochre to achieve the correct tint. And that would follow along with what I was envisioning... a brown shade with a touch of a golden yellow (Clear as mud, huh?!). If one searches "Olive Drab addiction- paint" it will come up with a thread. The shade I had in mind was on the darker of the two tank models in the lowest/last picture in the first post. Is this close to the 319? Is it likely I am just viewing these colors on a different screen so they appear different than my memory? Although possibly not correct, I'm looking to paint one of my Jeep projects and the matching trailer this shade, not small model.

Scuffy

98G
That does look similar to what I had in mind! While I was typing up a reply to my first post you snuck in and offered up that picture. That is indeed pretty darned close. What shade might that be?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks