• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't get M1009 to start, please help.

AyWoSch Motors

I have a 1984 M1009 Blazer that I've been attempting to restore for the past year. I've tried starting it many times now, and got it to run and idle for about 20 seconds, but not a thing since.
I've have bought/replaced/installed the following:
2 batteries, battery cables and connectors, 24v starter, starter solenoid, glow plug controller card, glow plugs, temp sensor, every fuse in fuse box, fuel filter, new diesel, purged fuel system up to filter, and an oil change.
Trying it on glow plugs alone, I get only a pop and sputter. So, I disconnected the glow plugs and used starting fluid and got it to start up a few times and run once.
My high pressure injector pump is not leaking, and I'm getting 24v+ to the starter.
The truck only has 34k miles, so I should run like new.
I am at a loss, please help.
One more thing: when I was getting it to pop and sputter, I was getting the white cloud of unburned diesel. Now I am not, tailpipes are dry.

JoeJoe_91

If you were getting white smoke and now you’re not, it could be a fuel related issue. Just because it only has 30k miles means nothing to these trucks, they were used in the military. I’ve had mine for about a month, and I get CLOUDS of white smoke when cranking and during idle until it heats up. I just dropped the fuel tank, it was layered in sludge. Mine says around 40k miles. Check your fuel lines. Also, the gas tends to flow back down after it’s been sitting, making it harder to start because it’s trying to get gas back up the line.

I’m no expert, they might show up soon and help you more. I’d definitely start with checking your fuel lines. There’s a rubber hose splice at the frame under the passenger door, that’s your supply line to the pump.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When has your injection pump been rebuilt? It has lots of plastic parts inside that are only good for roughly 10 years.

AyWoSch Motors

If you were getting white smoke and now you’re not, it could be a fuel related issue. Just because it only has 30k miles means nothing to these trucks, they were used in the military. I’ve had mine for about a month, and I get CLOUDS of white smoke when cranking and during idle until it heats up. I just dropped the fuel tank, it was layered in sludge. Mine says around 40k miles. Check your fuel lines. Also, the gas tends to flow back down after it’s been sitting, making it harder to start because it’s trying to get gas back up the line.

I’m no expert, they might show up soon and help you more. I’d definitely start with checking your fuel lines. There’s a rubber hose splice at the frame under the passenger door, that’s your supply line to the pump.
Thank you, that makes sense, because it's been about a month since I last tried it.
I'll try repurging the lines.
I also dropped the tank. It looked like new in there, so I replaced the rubber part of the lines and reinstalled it.

AyWoSch Motors

When has your injection pump been rebuilt? It has lots of plastic parts inside that are only good for roughly 10 years.
I have not had it rebuilt since I've owned it, don't know about the person that had it before me. I'll look into that. I didn't know you could have it rebuilt, I was hoping I would not have to buy a new one because they are pretty expensive.

AyWoSch Motors

Thank you, that makes sense, because it's been about a month since I last tried it.
I'll try repurging the lines.
I also dropped the tank. It looked like new in there, so I replaced the rubber part of the lines and reinstalled it.
I just purged the lines, got nice clean diesel coming out after a couple cranks, plugged the pink wire back in, and gave it try. Still nothing, just sits there cranking.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
got nice clean diesel coming out after a couple cranks...
Where? Did you crack open the lines at the injectors and got fuel there?
Best to remove all glow plugs and crank it until you see fuel mist blowing out of the holes. Only then it will fire up immediately.

AyWoSch Motors

Best to remove all glow plugs and crank it until you see fuel mist blowing out of the holes. Only then it will fire up immediately.
I unscrewed the plastic screw atop the fuel filter bracket, cranked it until fuel came out the rubber overflow hose. That's how they say to do it in my TM.
I will try taking out the plugs and purging that way, thanks.

cucvrus

Just loosen the 19mm nuts on the delivery nozzles. and crank it over. it should show signs of wet. Give that a try. I just had an injection pump fail in about 2 days from the onset of symptoms. It happens.

AyWoSch Motors

I took out all the glow plugs, cranked it, and successfully got diesel to spray out each hole. So it appears the injector pump is functioning and I am getting fuel to engine.
While I was reinstalling the #8 plug, I noticed the temp sensor wire was chewed and that the connector was partially melted. May have found my problem.
Going to replace that and see what happens.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks