• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't get my M1028 to run...

NMerenda

My truck is a 1984 M1028. I'm not sure if the injection pump has ever been rebuilt. I don't see any leaks, but I'm certain that's what's wrong unless someone else with more experience could shed some light on my issues. Here we go.

When I picked the truck up all the glow plugs were shot, so I started her up with ether. Ran fine for awhile but then the truck began to stall when I let the rpms drop. After awhile I got into the practice of keeping the revs up when at a stop light/sign, etc. It wasn't much long after that that when I tried to bring the rpms back up the pedal would occasionally be unresponsive and she would die. Usually she would start right back up again. I put new gp's in, figured maybe SOMETHING has to do with it. My relay and card are both tested, and fine. Nope still nothing. Waited for the plugs to cool down and then disconnected them. Brought out the ether again, and she started right up...for about 4 seconds until all the ether was depleted. At this point is when I assumed no fuel was making it to the cylinders.

Additional details:
The gentleman I purchased the truck from stated that the truck had been sitting for some time, indicating possible old fuel problems. But, he had gotten me a new fuel filter for when I came to purchase the truck. He had about 3/4 of a tank in the truck, and I ran the truck to a little under 1/4 tank. I stopped at a Love's truck stop in NC and filled up with fresh diesel, and then added an entire bottle of Diesel Kleen. It was at this point even on the highway with the rpms up that the throttle would become unresponsive. Drove about 100 miles with this tank. Decided I was getting too tired to drive so I pulled over, and then couldn't get the truck started up again, even with ether. Towed her home and then added about 2 oz of Star Tron diesel additive and then waited for my new return valve (glass ball had broken out of mine). Got everything all set up and then this is the point where she would only run on ether. Gen 2 has also not been charging, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I've personally narrowed it down, several things: Fuel was bad and completely clogged the new filter, dirty fuel tank, bad lift pump, or bad ip pump. I am new to the diesel world, and I'm a learn as I do kind of person.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

markg

1. turn engine over, if no start go to top of filter can base, twist the black knob, you should see fuel come out for a brief moment. if yes you have fuel. 2, remove return line fitting. see if there is pump material in fitting. if check ball has been removed someone knew about the pump flex ring coming apart. common in 84 yr model 6.2 engines. clean it out, truck will start and run until it clogs again. if thats the problem, save up for ip rebuild.

Last edited:

2002ford

Check at the injectors. It takes a 19 mm wrench and have some one turn it over for you. Look to see if its squirting any fuel. If not you need to start back tracking the different systems to see why you have no fuel. Please stop using either. There is way to many sub systems to check before anyone can say exactly what is wrong.

You may also get the check the TM`S answer. Roll with it and learn.

Lild

Mine ended up being the ip. Whn it went out for good, was while I was devising. Could hold gas pedal to floor, motor Disney even rev up. Then it would sound like it ran on 1-2 cylinders. But it wouldn't run at all. Kept cutting off. I got my pump @ injector warehouse for around 400 after core return.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine ended up being the ip. Whn it went out for good, was while I was devising. Could hold gas pedal to floor, motor Disney even rev up. Then it would sound like it ran on 1-2 cylinders. But it wouldn't run at all. Kept cutting off. I got my pump @ injector warehouse for around 400 after core return.
Now I'm even confused with the Disney reference.

GM72K10

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may have a clogged fuel tank sock. Had the same problem last summer on the M1028a1, removed and replaced and all of the symptoms you have went away.

dependable

If you want to try the clogged sock theory, blow some compressed air up the fuel line. If that helps, go ahead empty the crud from tank, replace or clean the sock, as it will clog again soon if you don't.

NMerenda

Sorry for the late reply. I've been pretty busy with work lately. Ill replace the filter and clean the tank and replace sock just for peace of mind and save up for an ip rebuild. Even if its not the ip I still might as well get it done and avoid problems in the future.

NMerenda

What problems could be caused by a bad lift pump? After some research it sounds like this could be the culprit. If it is indeed a bad lift pump, do I need a pump specific to the military 6.2s or will any do? Does anybody have a good one they would sell?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stock chevy 6.2L diesel pump. Many guys end up going with an electric.

I can tell you this, replacing the pump can be a challenge.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A bad fuel pump will cause the engine to not run properly.

There are test procedures outlined in the TMs.

Here is a recap to test the pimp from the TM 9-2320-289-20

"Step 6. Check fuel pump operation. Disconnect input fuel line at the fuel filter. Disconnect
pink lead from fuel injector pump. Use a quart capacity container, and crank
engine for 15 seconds. Container should be at least ¼ full or contain ½ pt (0.231)
of fuel. Install low pressure gage in fuel line. Crank engine for 15 more seconds.
Fuel pressure should be 5.5-6.5 psi (38-45 kPa). Reconnect fuel inlet line to fuel
filter, and reconnect pink lead to fuel injector pump.
If fuel flow is insufficient, replace fuel pump. (See paragraph 3-10)"

It would be better to tell us what symtems your truck is having than for us to list all the possible problems a bad pump would cause.

Last edited:

NMerenda

A bad fuel pump will cause the engine to not run properly.

There are test procedures outlined in the TMs.

Here is a recap to test the pimp from the TM 9-2320-289-20

"Step 6. Check fuel pump operation. Disconnect input fuel line at the fuel filter. Disconnect
pink lead from fuel injector pump. Use a quart capacity container, and crank
engine for 15 seconds. Container should be at least ¼ full or contain ½ pt (0.231)
of fuel. Install low pressure gage in fuel line. Crank engine for 15 more seconds.
Fuel pressure should be 5.5-6.5 psi (38-45 kPa). Reconnect fuel inlet line to fuel
filter, and reconnect pink lead to fuel injector pump.
If fuel flow is insufficient, replace fuel pump. (See paragraph 3-10)"

It would be better to tell us what symtems your truck is having than for us to list all the possible problems a bad pump would cause.
link t my original post: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?112924-Can-t-get-my-M1028-to-run

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks