• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Can't get my M1028 to run...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is always best to continue one complete thread covering all of your trucks issues, than to post incomplete threads on each event during diagnosis.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will merge it with your other.

markg

Turned her over a few times today and this was the result;
View attachment 454336
you have a starter drawing way to much current or a loose connection at the battery. i would guess the former. you need some help! i would get the starter checked. you can melt the battery post to the point where you will need a new battery!

Last edited:

NMerenda

you have a starter drawing way to much current or a loose connection at the battery. i would guess the former. you need some help!
I'm sure I could use some new terminal ends of the cords as well lol they aren't exactly in good shape. Now about the starter, how can I test if it is drawing too much current. What is the remedy?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you done any maintenance on the cables/terminals prior to this failure?

Do you know for sure that it was clean and tight when this happened?

markg

I'm sure I could use some new terminal ends of the cords as well lol they aren't exactly in good shape. Now about the starter, how can I test if it is drawing too much current. What is the remedy?
im not sure if the box store(autozone) can check it, you may need to take to a starter
place . was it dragging real bad? its hard to test a starter off the truck, because when there is no load on them they will spin good. i used to mount them to a block of wood and see if the starter drive would rip the wood.

Last edited:

Hasdrubal

That melted battery post looks like what happened to me once. I had been working on the fuel lines leaning over on top of the passenger side. Inadvertently my weight had caused the cable end to tilt on the post. Went to start and sparks shot out, a small bit of melted lead had dripped from one side of the post. Check those connections.

NMerenda

im not sure if the box store(autozone) can check it, you may need to take to a starter
place . was it dragging real bad? its hard to test a starter off the truck, because when there is no load on them they will spin good. i used to mount them to a block of wood and see if the starter drive would rip the wood.
I'll charge the batteries up and then do a load test. By the way, not sure what this is indicative of, but occasionally when starting, I will hear an extremely loud screeching noise, until I back off the starter. Go to start up again and she will engage. I had one person tell me it's catching a bad spot on the flywheel, but I personally think the drive gear just isn't fully engaging the flywheel. What's your opinion?

NMerenda

That melted battery post looks like what happened to me once. I had been working on the fuel lines leaning over on top of the passenger side. Inadvertently my weight had caused the cable end to tilt on the post. Went to start and sparks shot out, a small bit of melted lead had dripped from one side of the post. Check those connections.

Yeah, none of the connections on my batteries are tightened down. I didn't think it mattered as long as it was making a connection. Guess I'll try again, but use a wrench this time lol.

markg

.... Go to start up again and she will engage. I had one person tell me it's catching a bad spot on the flywheel, but I personally think the drive gear just isn't fully engaging the flywheel. What's your opinion?
more than likely its the flywheel, its a common problem with these trucks. start saving for the repair or you can read about getting some long bolts, sliding the transmission back, and slipping the flywheel out between the small gap! its been done by many. good luck

NMerenda

more than likely its the flywheel, its a common problem with these trucks. start saving for the repair or you can read about getting some long bolts, sliding the transmission back, and slipping the flywheel out between the small gap! its been done by many. good luck
My rear main seal is leaking as well, so I'll probably just have a buddy help take the engine out and go from there. If he's not up to it (which is most likely the case) I'll just save up :/ i'd love to tackle the job myself but without a proper workspace, and a lack of that ever so precious commodity, time, I'm going to have to go that route. Someone told me that these trucks are for the rich and retired. I'm starting to grasp that idea.

But thank you for the info. The sparky stuff I can do myself, anything engine related I'm going to leave to professionals.